A Lathe Without Changing Gears for Threading

I was looking a little further and found the Sun Master ERL series. Anyone know if Sun Master has a US distributor? Or if there is a rebranded Sun Master ERL?

Been thinking about this myself, being that finding change gears for my lathe are next to nil, i feel that doing the ELS would be appropriate.

The SunMaster lathes are sold in the US through different vendors, but have different names.
SunMaster ERL series comes in various sizes, 1330, 1340 and 1440
SunMaster RML series is in 1440, 1640 and 1660
SunMaster TRL series which is now called the TC series come in 1440, 1640, 1660, 1840, 1860

They are available in both manual and variable speed (VFD), most VFD models are designed for either single phase or 3 phase input.
Specifically if you are looking at the ERL series, there is the Acra 1440C which I already posted a link, and the Kent TRL-1340 which is the ERL SunMaster. They also carry other heavier models. Acra 1440C is the least expensive model if you buy directly from Acra, a number of HM members have bought this lathe and there are postings. Kent is 2-3K more for pretty much the same model, but they get the 1340 size where Acra gets the 1440 model. They are both available in VFD versions (VS). The TE version is the same as the RML, also available from Kent and Acra. The RL is the same as the TRL. Spindle bore on the ERL is 1.59" with a D1-4 chuck mount, RML/TE is 2.06" with a D1-6 chuck mount, and TC/RL is 2.55" D1-6 chuck mount. The Acra lathes do come with a Taiwanese scroll and independent chucks which are pretty nice. Grizzly has versions under their SouthBend lineup, but they have gone up in price and I recall some mention that they were being phased out. If there is a particular model you are interested in PM me and I can give you some more specific suggestions. You are looking in the price range of 12-14Kfor the ERL manual to 17K+ for the 1440RL, the VFD models are an additional ~2.5K, but worth it as the parts would be close to that for a decent build. The RML/TC are pressure lubed in the VFD models. I have the ERL-1340 which I purchased as a special order through PM/QMT, they currently only carry the TL series, which I recommend (or the TE series from Acra) if you are not already tooled up for a smaller lathe, and can deal with the heavier weight of the lathe.

ACRA just got a shipment in, I got the 2nd to last ACRA 1440 TVS(1440C with VFD), I'm not sure what other models were ordered. There will be a price increase in November for new machines coming in....

Last edited:
The Grizzly 1550 (currently G 4000) has what is called a "half Norton" change gear box. It will change a dozen or so threads but the "ranging" gears must be changed individually. A while back I had the thought to build the other half of the gear box and to include a metric to imperial conversion. 127-120 are the gears on my machine. That idea is still active in my mind but has gone no further. Life has this disconcerting habit of getting in the way of broad ideas.

@mksj I'm sorry that I didn't answer sooner as the site didn't send me an email after your responded. Thanks for the detail. I will PM you to discuss further as this will be my first lathe purchase.

PM me your email, and if you want to talk about it include your phone number and we can set up a time to discuss what you are looking for.
Mark

Back