A New Home for my Karl Benz Engine

I started bending the main frame member and I think it may work out all right.
With nothing to go on except pictures it is a real wild guess as to the size and shape.

IMG_2150.JPG

I know I will be drilling holes for mounting supports and other attachments into this tubing and I am afraid it won't be up to the task.
I turned these slugs of solid aluminum and pressed them into the tubing for strength.
IMG_2153.JPG
IMG_2154.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Over the last few days I have been making little pieces and parts for the main engine mounts when I had time.
Today I made the rest of the parts and assembled them.

IMG_2157.JPG

I put the solid aluminum slugs in the rear frame tubes so the u-bolts would not crush the tubing.

IMG_2159.JPG

It maybe overkill but now I have one rigid frame to work with.

IMG_2161.JPG

I mounted the engine to the frame and did a mock up to see how everything is fitting.

IMG_2163.JPG

My engine is a little longer in relation to the original engine so it may have to be moved further back but I will wait and see how the rest of the build turns out first.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Any idea what they used for a transmission? My father-in-law at one time had a drawing of a 1903 Curved-dash Oldsmobile. We're headed there this weekend, I'll see if I can get a photo or two if he still has it.

Bruce

The first Benz auto didn't have a transmission.
The clutch was just a roller that tightened the drive belt.
The drive belt went directly to the differential hub that fed power to the rear wheels via the drive chains.

Ray
I think the CLA still has that?

I bought a 5ft piece of solid round rubber 3/4" in diameter to see if I could make the tires out of it.
I cut it in half on my 4X6 band saw.
IMG_2168.JPG

I clamped a couple of scrap boards to the table for guides and did my best to center the cut in the rubber.
Close up of the setup.
IMG_2166.JPG

It worked well and I even hit close to the center of the rubber strip.
IMG_2169.JPG

I coated the rims and the rubber with contact cement and let set for 15 minutes.
I worked around the rim pressing the rubber in place an inch at a time and then cut them to length.
IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

Very happy with the results so now the wheels have tires.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back