A not so quick

Dr. Bob

Registered
Registered
Re: A not so quick "Quick Project"

If you do thread cut B.A. theads the thread angle is 47.5 degrees, it's easier to buy a tap or die

Most electrical fittings use BA, but as this is made by Joseph Lucas (known this side of the pond as "the prince of darkness" for some unreliable motorcycle lighting outfits from the fifties) it could be either. My feeling would be to carefully run a tap down and make a screw to suit, or do a bit of work on the screw you have made with a fine V needle file. You do not want to force the screw in because the bakerlite can be a bit tender and flake away or crack, but of course the connection needs to be good too! go carefully........ I bet I have got some screws to fit that in my collection, but I am on the wrong side of the world, I will do some research Monday and get back to you!
Phil

On the Triumphs I've had I ripped out the harness and made my own, That fixed most of the problems.

Paul

author=Paddy OFernichur link=topic=2483.msg17847#msg17847 date=1309456561
Prince of Darkness indeed. My first motorbike, a 1973 Triumph Bonneville, had a 3-position switch on the headlight. Dim-Flicker-Off.

Lucas lights were like the Sun...and when the motor dropped to an idle, the Sun would set. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, and the British drink warm beer. Why? Lucas refrigerators. :D

In all seriousness though, a friend of mine used to have a 1979 MGB with a nightmare electrical system. We spent many hours trying to figure out why the wipers wouldn't work unless the hazards were on.

Then, in 1992 I had a Mustang GT. One day smoke strarted pouring out of the steering column. The headlight switch had gone up in smoke. On what was left I could see the word "Lucas".

John

author=jgedde link=topic=2483.msg18392#msg18392 date=1310143129
Yes, and the British drink warm beer. Why? Lucas refrigerators. :D

In all seriousness though, a friend of mine used to have a 1979 MGB with a nightmare electrical system. We spent many hours trying to figure out why the wipers wouldn't work unless the hazards were on.

Then, in 1992 I had a Mustang GT. One day smoke strarted pouring out of the steering column. The headlight switch had gone up in smoke. On what was left I could see the word "Lucas".

John

I had a 1970's MGB for a couple of years. The electricals worked properly but the brake master cylinder, which was mounted above the foot pedals, would invariably leak hydraulic fluid down on your trouser leg and shoe. Even after rebuilding it, you only had about a month until the thing would start leaking again.

Happily, I sold it. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back