A Peerless Shaper Followed Me Home Too

You're making me wish I time to get back to working on my Steptoe!
Looks great!!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im going to need to cut some internal keyways so started making the tooling for the shaper.
Not sure what this is called, looks like a boring bar but the cutter gets pushed with the ram. Had a piece of inch dia mystery metal, maybe 4140 pre hardened. Rather than file out a 1/4 inch square hole for the cutter I somewhat copied the lantern tool holder on the shaper. Cut an elongated slot and used rings to cover the round ends.

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

Now to make the mount for the clapper box.

Greg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

Still waiting to trip over one of those some time. Enjoyed the video, and the tool holder seems like it should work well. Mike

Finished the mount, cut the end of the bar down and threaded it.

IMG_2019.jpg

Will need to find a shorter bolt for the clamp, doesn't leave much depth for keying.

A;so built a heavy V-block and clamp to hold hubs when Im machining them.

IMG_2014.jpg

Greg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

Nice set up , your thinking out of the box for sure. tooling you made looks like the originals from many years ago. We had a shaper in almost every shop I worked in and they were always under utilized . The answer there to slow not efficient . Till we had things that couldn't be done otherwise just like your set up . key ways in long bushings like yours.

That's a fantastic restoration. Well done.

Learned how to run a shaper at Machinery Repairman School, but never had one available on either of the ships I was stationed on. The Gompers had an open sided planner which I ran. One day the Chief pointed at it and said "go figure it out". Really was easy to run.

The only shaper I ran in industry was at Columbus McKinnon Corp, the chain maker. We built & rebuilt the chain making machines and used the shaper to put flat knurls on electrical clamps to increase the holding power and to cut a blind dovetail. The mating parts were forged copper. Occasionally used it to rough in parts needing considerable machining. Yea they are obsolete technology, but the cutting tools are dirt cheap in comparison and you can set them up, walk away and take care of other business.

Great thread/great save f350ca! I just bumbled on to this. I know it's an old thread.

I can only imagine how heavy all the parts of that beast are. It would take a well equipped shop just tackle that and a lot of room to run it. I saw you asked John in the tool holder thread about some way to cut down the cross feed. Be interested to see what he says. Were all the bigger shapers like that?

Back