A Project Quest

I apologize if I have skipped something, but what motor do you plant to use? DC, 3ph?

56C frame 3450 rpm, single phase

Thanks for the reply

I have heard single phase motors can leave a slightly rippled finish because of their on/off switching between the phases, whereas 3ph motors deliver near constant power delivery. Would this be something to keep in mind for the project?

Maybe the motor could be mounted with rubber washers and shaft coupler? Every single phase motor I've seen or used vibrates a little, and everything helps when grinding.

Thanks for the reply

I have heard single phase motors can leave a slightly rippled finish because of their on/off switching between the phases, whereas 3ph motors deliver near constant power delivery. Would this be something to keep in mind for the project?

Maybe the motor could be mounted with rubber washers and shaft coupler? Every single phase motor I've seen or used vibrates a little, and everything helps when grinding.
Not on/off switching, but sinusoidally varying torque. A DC motor would be ideal. They are using a Lovejoy coupling.

Backlash is there, yes, but because the spindle direction is always clockwise and does not reverse it is of little if any concern.

Duh. OK, blonde moment. Or more like salt & pepper moment. For some reason my feeble mind was placing the coupling on the X or Y axis. Backlash wouldn't be a problem on the spindle as you guys have said.

Am I being blind, or does the design not show a seal of any sort? Has the decision been made about how the bearings will be sealed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the bearings are sealed and the arbor will cover the spindle nose , so additional seals are not needed.

Thanks for the reply

I do not foresee the motor causing any problems from vibrations.

Back