Absolute Rookie Needs Restoration Advice

Both my bull gear and one of my feed reverse gears are missing a tooth. Everything works just fine. You should have no problem with missing a third of a tooth.

As for grinding bits, there are many excellent resources. The Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations has good info, and should be read by anyone learning about metalworking. Tom Lipton (Oxtools) has a great video series on YouTube called Toolbit Development (1-3), and Tom's Techniques has good ones including Grinding Turning and Facing Tools.

Finally the article linked to in this post has some excellent insights about how to actually control the grinding and honing process. It's not about the shapes to grind, just the technique. Well worth the read:

Advanced Tool Sharpening for the Lathe by Conrad Hoffman
http://www.Hobby-Machinist.com/inde...rpening-for-the-Lathe-by-Conrad-Hoffman.3195/

Looks like you have a good project. Just to reinforce what others are saying, get the manual so you have something to help you if you forget to take a picture of some tear down procedure. I think you will be able to get all of the help on this site that you would ever need without the judgemental posts on other sites. This really seems to be a friendly place.

Everyone has an opinion on what to clean with. My personal choice is odorless mineral spirits (paint thinner).

/

I have worked in machine shops for the last 25-30 years, the best way to clean a machine is by using someone else's money. (-:

Well. it is all degreased, inspected and put back together. Runs fairly smoothly. I Actually made some chips with the really nasty looking tool that came with it. Definitely need something sharper/harder/ cleaner. I think 3/8" tools are what will fit in the tool post.
Spent an interesting 45 minutes trying to relearn centering round stock in a 4 jaw chuck. Best I could come up with was about .012 TIR. Guess I need a little practice (or a three jaw--collets would be nice too). Looked at Shars - they had a 4 inch three jaw and a plate for not much more than a hundred bucks. No Idea what a collet chuck for this lathe would be - or even if they make one.
Think I'll wander over to EvilBay and see what kind of 3/8 carbide tooling is available

Somebody mentioned mineral spirits (paint thinner) as a solvent for cleaning. It is very good but in case no one mentioned it that stuff is very volatile so be careful of sparks. Best to use it in a well ventilated environment too. My brother found out about that while cleaning a car engine and he was lucky the burns didn't maim him for life. Be safe out there!

Somebody mentioned mineral spirits (paint thinner) as a solvent for cleaning. It is very good but in case no one mentioned it that stuff is very volatile so be careful of sparks. Best to use it in a well ventilated environment too. My brother found out about that while cleaning a car engine and he was lucky the burns didn't maim him for life. Be safe out there!
Even WD40 is flammable so unless you know for fact how your solvent rates, treat them all with respect.

I couldn't grind a tool bit if my life depended on it. Two semesters of CNC programming but virtually nothing on shop basics like how to clean a file - remind me to rant about the deplorable state of technical training

Totally right about the latter, but yes, you can grind a tool. You do not need, and almost certainly can't properly exploit, carbide - for both speed and stiffness reasons. Sure, you can buy it and use it, but there are better options. What you want right now is a 1/4 inch square piece of M2 HSS or thereabouts, held in a Diamond toolholder or equivalent (or build one). The Diamond will cost almost as much as the lathe did, but it'll be your go-to tool for facing, turning, and external threading. High up front cost, dirt cheap to use. I probably spent twice that cost before I had one, on brazed carbide and ruined grind-three-faces HSS pieces. Total cost since has maybe been 20 bucks worth of HSS square stock. Comes with a grinding jig, anybody can grind the single face. Actually need both the RH and LH versions, if you can afford both. If not, buy the one where the tool bit is aimed at the headstock (LH)- that's what you'll use most of the time.

Find a copy of how to run a LATHE. South bend I think put them out. It covers all the things you want ,from cleaning and oiling to grinding shapes of the tool bits. Remember wear you eye protection , NO loose clothing , long hair, rings and other jewelry. One trick to clean your lead screw, get a length of string and lay it in the bottom of the thread and hold it while turning the chuck . It will do a good job. It's better then a steal brush. If you can't find tool bits go to eBay lots there. As far as collets I'd get a er40 collet holder with straight 1" shaft 100mm long and a few collets to start . Lots of things can be made on that little LATHE.

Back