Acute Tool Sharpening System - Full Kit

werz99

Registered
Registered
Hallo!
I have been thinking about buying a tool sharpening system for a long time. Investigated a lot about Quorn, Deckel clones and other tool and cutter grinders. - Lastly I decided to go for the full kit of the "Acute Tool sharpening System" from Eccentric Engineering: Moderate costs, my planned usage and - very important - a nice machining project:) - https://eccentricengineering.com.au/sho ... p178098400
I paid about EUR 310.- including shipping and customs fees (and some addons like blanks and ER16 holder).
P1010021.JPG

The kit includes all materials and a very well made booklet with all the drawings of the single parts (these are a lot:)) in metric dimensions and every chapter starts with a 3D-overview of the assembled group (table, work arm , work head etc.).

The delivered parts are prefabricated (lasercut) with the needed oversize for machining them to dimension. Also all borings are precentered in the right spots and all needed fasteners and levers are included.

You cannot find a lot of information online. Gary from Eccentric Engineering started a video-series, but never completed it. - There is a very helpful video showing its usage:

I finished the system in about 2 weeks, working for some hours nearly every day . The build of the whole thing is documented on youtube.

Video:

Regards
werz99
As things always happen: I got the opportunity to buy a taiwanese Tool & Cutter Grinder shortly after I finished the Acute Tool Sharpening System. - It is a "Pregraph U2", from1993 in very good condition with a lot of different grinding wheels and a set of collets and other accessoires. (I only had to clean and oil the machine and change the worn out belt.). So I could not resist - the price was below the overall costs of the australian kit:)- So at the moment I am focussed to learn how to use the Pregraph U2. - Such is life, but the Acute System will surely get the attention it deserves:))
P1010024.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice! Now you are equipped to sharpen almost everything. It's a powerful capability to have that removes limits and creates possibilities on what you can accomplish. Enjoy practicing and building grinding skills, I know I have.

I was trying to figure out how I was going to sharpen my bits without having to spend a thousand dollars on another machine...

I have a grinder... I went ahead and changed the wheels for the white aluminum oxide... and was trying to figure out how to make a jig to do the bits. Glad I ran into this thread!!

@wachuko have you looked into the Harold Hall rest? The book with the plans are in our site library.

@wachuko have you looked into the Harold Hall rest? The book with the plans are in our site library.

I have not... let me take a look. Thank you!

EDIT: Found a few threads. And the link to http://www.homews.co.uk/page146.html

I am going to give that a try first!!!

Last edited:
Looks like the ER16 holder is no longer available. Did you get your from them, or from another source? Is that just a generic ER16 collect holder?

I can't tell you how many times I have placed the complete kit on the cart... and then just closed the browser. All this since I saw this thread with your build.

Looks like a great project to build. I keep going back between their kit or going with Harold Halls plans... I like the idea of just getting a kit with all the materials needed vs. sourcing all of those on my own....

Anyway, sorry for the long reply. Would love to see a follow up on this video with some feedback on your experience with it...

Looking forward to your second video once the weather warms up in your neck of the woods!

Last edited:
So I priced this with all the options I wanted.... but ouch!!$$

Acute Tool Sharpening System - Full Parts Kit - $190.66
Angle Template set for the Acute Sharpener - $30.51
Additional Table - Parts Kit - $68.64
Inch Set of 5x Square Broached inserts - $53.38
Blank Insert x 5 - Square - $38.13
16mm Square Collar - $11.44
Sharpening Jig for HSS Parting Blades - $26.69

Subtotal$419.45
Estimated shipping$99.29
TOTAL$518.74

So scaling back a bit...

Acute Tool Sharpening System - Full Parts Kit - $190.66
Angle Template set for the Acute Sharpener - $30.51
Blank Insert x 5 - Square - $38.13
16mm Square Collar - $11.44
3/8" Square Broached Insert - $12.96

Subtotal$283.70
Estimated shipping$75.27
TOTAL$358.97

But it would be a cool project to build...

Back