Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

A quick look at Craigslist finds a lot of "vintage" relics, but I'm fast becoming "vintage" myself!

True.
But an order of magnitude includes your safety habits too.
You Aways have the vise - or part you are drilling firmly bolted down, and both the head and table firmly clamped when using a large bit.
A morse taper drill has no place to slip.

It's always good to be very careful with thin work on the drill press , the guy I bought mine off gave me a quick "it's got a lot of torque be vary careful if you hand hold work" as I was loading it up :)

hear is mine with a tapping head (I have made the safety foot for the tapping head now, this was my initial tests)

Stu

True.
But an order of magnitude includes your safety habits too.
You Aways have the vise - or part you are drilling firmly bolted down, and both the head and table firmly clamped when using a large bit.
All the more reason to assume a new person wanting advice on what drill press to buy isn’t convinced he needs a 2 hp gear head drill press to sit alongside his mini lathe and mini mill. Lol

All the more reason to assume a new person wanting advice on what drill press to buy isn’t convinced he needs a 2 hp gear head drill press to sit alongside his mini lathe and mini mill. Lol
You posted about the hazards of using a drill press and how those hazards increase with a larger machine. You even gave examples of what can happen when good safety is ignored - spinning the vise and or bending the bit.
I posted about safe drilling practices and showed a photo of the correct way to do it when using a large - or smaĺl bit.
I thought we were on the same page.
As for our drill presses, lathes and mills, we're all hobbiests here so I don't see how the size of our machines has much to do with working safely.

Last edited:
No issues here. Safety is important. I can see how my words could be interpreted as critical of your post. It wasn’t my intent. I was trying to give my original answer perspective. Sorry.

You posted about the hazards of using a drill press and how those hazards increase with a larger machine. You even gave examples of what can happen when good safety is ignored - spinning the vise and or bending the bit.
I posted about safe drilling practices and showed a photo of the correct way to do it when using a large - or smaĺl bit.
As for our drill presses, lathes and mills, we're all hobbiests here so I don't see how the size of our machines has much to do with working safely.
You raise an interesting topic ,

I have a 13" lathe and sometimes I think I'm quite glad I started with a smaller lathe , as the possibilities for bad outcomes to accidents do increase with machine size. Bigger the kit more careful / aware of bad practices you should be.

Hobbies are no fun if you rip your hand off

:crush:

Stu

You raise an interesting topic ,

I have a 13" lathe and sometimes I think I'm quite glad I started with a smaller lathe , as the possibilities for bad outcomes to accidents do increase with machine size. Bigger the kit more careful / aware of bad practices you should be.

Hobbies are no fun if you rip your hand off

:crush:

Stu
I've been thinking about this myself.

Whilst attempting to marry my paltry "skills" in mini-lathe setting-up/fettling/improving with said mini-lathe (not seemingly chock full of egregious manufacturing flaws but still requiring some 'adjustment'), I've been on FB marketplace idly eyeing up Colchester lathes (which aren't necessarily behemoths themselves) and then reflecting on the personal injury I could do to myself with a machine meant for a skilled professional operator (or at least an operator who had professional supervision).

But then...

Well, (and the US members of this forum will be chortling up their sleeves at this pea-shootery) when I used to shoot a bit of occasional pest control with a .22 rimmie (CZ, tidy little thing, but the trigger out of the box was woollier than a fair-isle jumper!), what I was told by my much wiser and more experienced friend and mentor was: rimfire or centrefire, shotty or rifle, if the business end of the bang-stick is pointed at someone, and it discharges, that person is going to have an unpleasant time of it; he also taught me that the best safety is the one between my ears.

Do you chaps not feel it's the same with machine tools? I mean, I reckon with enough inattention and stupidity, it wouldn't be hard to seriously, and probably permanently, injure myself with my 7x14.

Okay, is it possible that with only a 1HP motor, I might be able to prevent my neck and head being dragged into the chuck with a foolishly worn cravat or medallion? I dunno but even if it were possible, would I have the time to steady myself? (and no, obviously I don't wear a cravat when the lathe is spinning or been using my drill press; it's short-sleeves, no neckwear or jewellery and my hair is short; actually, I don't want you guys thinking I wear a cravat or a medallion at any time, let's get that clear! :D).

We don't have to be all silly and super 'precautionary-principle' about it but I reckon that mildly assuming all machine tools are casually keeping an eye out for an opportunity to maim or kill us, isn't a foolish perspective to have.

Or am I just being over cautious?:dunno:

On a slightly related note: at my secondary school ('high school' for most of the rest of the English speaking world), nobody was allowed to use the 2 lathes and a mill we had before they were in the third year (so before the age of about 14)...because of course, table saws, wood lathes and bench planers, well, they're smiling beneficent, gentle helpers that mean us no harm at all! :D

Last edited:
Just thought I would update on the HF sale 16 speed drill press

Ran into take another look at the $209 sale HF unit and grabbed the last tag.
It seemed well built I tried with another customer to flex the column and really couldn't get any discernable deflection at least with body weight. The pulleys all seemed to be machined not just cast.
It did have a 16mm chuck.

I looked locally at the Craigslist drill presses and most used desktop five speeds were priced higher than the new 16 speed one, some were HF as well.
All of the floor standing units were 350 + so decided I was going to buy the new HF, turns out they sold out don't know if more are coming and will not rain check, also will not sell me the display model either.

I guess I will keep the eyes peeled through the new year maybe a decent used Rockwell will appear at a great price. For now the old press works but spindle travel is limited and you have to manually place the table no gear rack adjustment.

Just thought I would update on the HF sale 16 speed drill press

Ran into take another look at the $209 sale HF unit and grabbed the last tag.
It seemed well built I tried with another customer to flex the column and really couldn't get any discernable deflection at least with body weight. The pulleys all seemed to be machined not just cast.
It did have a 16mm chuck.

I looked locally at the Craigslist drill presses and most used desktop five speeds were priced higher than the new 16 speed one, some were HF as well.
All of the floor standing units were 350 + so decided I was going to buy the new HF, turns out they sold out don't know if more are coming and will not rain check, also will not sell me the display model either.

I guess I will keep the eyes peeled through the new year maybe a decent used Rockwell will appear at a great price. For now the old press works but spindle travel is limited and you have to manually place the table no gear rack adjustment.
This can only mean you have a neighbor that’s ready to give you one they want hauled away.

John

Back