Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

Speaking of which, as a newbie asking, how do you get that dimple just where the scribe lines cross?
One method that was a game changer for me with respect to locating the punch on the mark is this: pick a spot on one line just a bit back from where the lines cross. Set your punch point in that line (you can feel when it’s actually in the line) and then slide the punch up to where the other line crosses. As soon as your punch reaches that intersection you will feel it. That’s your centre. Straighten the punch up vertical and give a little tap. Check your alignment, adjust if necessary by “pushing” your first spot to where you want it, then deepen with another tap.

Needless to say you do need your tip in good condition to ride in the scribe line, but that’s just housekeeping. The other thing I did was to lose the automatic centre punch in favour of a small brass hammer and regular punches, I never could get the automatic one to punch properly or on the mark so it sits unused now except for the most rudimentary of work.

Well the 17" drill press from HF showed up. I had called their info line and was told a 43389 had shipped. my receipt said 61484.
When the store worker brought the box up it was a 61484. I got it in the garage and started checking things out a few findings:

The motor is a 7.5 amp not 13.5 amp.
Aluminum pulleys
Aluminum main table support as well as the column surround
The main column support that bolts to the base is Aluminum as well
The main column is .060 " in wall thickness. That is NOT a misprint. That is thinner than most exhaust pipe tubing- Not thrilled
I checked the spindle support run out side to side as .005 total. ~.008" all the way extended.
The motor slide pins allowing belt tensioning are a loose fit allowing the motor to move around in the vertical axis before belt tensioning.

Started up the machine and I had forgot to remove the 1/2 thousand's indicator.
Within 3 seconds the vibration shook it off the NOGA and it hit the concrete floor. breaking it DOH.
At least it was not an expensive Name brand indicator.

I checked the pulley set screws which were never fully tapped, so it was allowing the motor pulley to move on the shaft . Re tapped much better and tight. Had some better quality belts in my stack of used auto belts than what was supplied and got it running actually smooth.

Not sure I can deal with the super thin "column" or the aluminum support pieces.

I did some looking on reviews and one guy pressed a bit to hard drilling and the aluminum collar column piece fractured into two pieces. ( He posted the pictures)

He then had an extended wait for a replacement.

The manufacturer also left the table up down rack gears un shimmed which makes the rack and pinion basically unusable until they are re shimmed.

I now DO believe the comment section on HF site comparing the two SKUs.

From the more powerful 13.5 amp motor, to the all cast Iron support, better castings, tighter motor slide pins, and likely superior run out numbers.

Really not happy with the column thickness and the aluminum work table support.
I was irritated enough to walk away from the new drill last night and not much better today. I may re shim the rack drive and mount it then press the chuck in and see how badly the table and head deflect.

If it is not bad and the aluminum casting does not break will probably keep it.

If it does deflect or the casting cracks, back it will go.

May even just return it and buy the 20 inch that weighs 300lb.
Still really happy with my HF knee mill, 1224 HF lathe, and even the little 7x10 HF lathe, but some of the cost cutting measures on this drill press are possibly a step to far.

Last edited:
What makes for an adequate hobbyist Drill Press to add to a LMS Mini Mill and Mini Lathe? I’ll start with a budget example from Harbor Freight, on clearance for $209. Where would the machine be limiting or inadequate? I have no particular aspirations in mind - just making tooling and fixtures, small engine models, etc. I’d like to buy “adequate” first and upgrade if needed, but not regret a bad purchase.

View attachment 467858View attachment 467859View attachment 467860
That a is good drill press
But center pulley is problem.
I would takeout the center pulley and turn the motor pulley upside-down. This fix the slipping

Dave

Well the 17" drill press from HF showed up. I had called their info line and was told a 43389 had shipped. my receipt said 61484.
When the store worker brought the box up it was a 61484. I got it in the garage and started checking things out a few findings:

Aluminum pulleys
The main column is .060 " in wall thickness. That is NOT a misprint. That is thinner than most exhaust pipe tubing- Not thrilled
I checked the spindle support run out side to side as .005 total. ~.008" all the way extended.
The motor slide pins allowing belt tensioning are a loose fit allowing the motor to move around in the vertical axis before belt tensioning.

Started up the machine and I had forgot to remove the 1/2 thousand's indicator.
Within 3 seconds the vibration shook it off the NOGA and it hit the concrete floor. breaking it DOH.
At least it was not an expensive Name brand indicator.

I checked the pulley set screws which were never fully tapped, so it was allowing the motor pulley to move on the shaft . Re tapped much better and tight. Had some better quality belts in my stack of used auto belts than what was supplied and got it running actually smooth.

Not sure I can deal with the super thin "column" or the aluminum support pieces.

I did some looking on reviews and one guy pressed a bit to hard drilling and the aluminum collar column piece fractured into two pieces. ( He posted the pictures)

He then had an extended wait for a replacement.

The manufacturer also left the table up down rack gears un shimmed which makes the rack and pinion basically unusable until they are re shimmed.

I now DO believe the comment section on HF site comparing the two SKUs.

From the more powerful 13.5 amp motor, to the all cast Iron support, better castings, tighter motor slide pins, and likely superior run out numbers.

Really not happy with the column thickness and the aluminum work table support.
I was irritated enough to walk away from the new drill last night and not much better today. I may re shim the rack drive and mount it then press the chuck in and see how badly the table and head deflect.

If it is not bad and the aluminum casting does not break will probably keep it.

If it does deflect or the casting cracks, back it will go.

May even just return it and buy the 20 inch that weighs 300lb.
Still really happy with my HF knee mill, 1224 HF lathe, and even the little 7x10 HF lathe, but some of the cost cutting measures on this drill press are possibly a step to far.
Get the 20"

I think what you’re seeing is manufacturer’s making their products to a price point rather than a quality level. They know what people are willing to spend and make their products to that price point. Quality isn’t part of the equation.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s I bought a couple off shore made bench drill presses from a local farm store. While they were low middle of the road quality for those days they are considerably higher in quality than anything made today for 5 times the money.

Every part was made of either steel or cast iron. No aluminum castings, pulleys, clamps, or anything else. I’ve never had to repair or replace anything except a light bulb on either.

I have a floor model originally purchased in 1987. It’s another off shore model (Jet) that cost just shy of $2,200.00. That’s almost $6,000.00 in todays money. Few if any hobbyists are willing to spend that kind of money for a drill press. Consequently they lower the quality to meet a price point that appeals to their potential customers.

HF knows their customers. By in large they’re looking for price over quality. They’ll willing to take the time and effort to make “improvements” rather tan put out the cash for higher quality tools.

What makes for an adequate hobbyist Drill Press to add to a LMS Mini Mill and Mini Lathe? I’ll start with a budget example from Harbor Freight, on clearance for $209. Where would the machine be limiting or inadequate? I have no particular aspirations in mind - just making tooling and fixtures, small engine models, etc. I’d like to buy “adequate” first and upgrade if needed, but not regret a bad purchase.

View attachment 467858View attachment 467859View attachment 467860
The i had did not have a hobby life .
It used to drill 3/16 or 9/16" holes 40 hour's a week.
It did need a new motor It was replaced withe a Baldor motor and water prof drum switch with variable speed pulley.
The next up grade was the rake was bent so we bolt to column.
Most life was outside for 30 years. It was only drill press I could move around the shop or out doors. It was used 40 hours a week. I guy want drill press in deal

Dave

Aluminum pulleys
I don’t know if this says something about you, or something about me, but I couldn’t tell you a single one of those things about the 40 year old drill press in my garage.
“Checking it out” for me, consisted of drilling holes in stuff. Ha!

I don’t know if this says something about you, or something about me, but I couldn’t tell you a single one of those things about the 40 year old drill press in my garage.
“Checking it out” for me, consisted of drilling holes in stuff. Ha!
I suspect, given that 40 year old drill press, it says something about the change in manufacturing quality vis a vis product pricing and consequently something about your drill press ;)

With that bit of 40 year old bit of kit, you probably never had that creeping dread, that "did I just get something cheap that's not of sufficient quality, rather than a good deal?" internal dialogue.

There are far fewer products these days of the latter class and far more of the former, sadly.

Back