Adopted A Van Norman #12

jghm

Active User
Registered
A #12 found a new home. S/n 12-8722 (1946) came home with me earlier this week. I'm giving it a good cleaning piece by piece. So far everything has been looking good. Figured it should be done by spring.
John
norm 002s.jpg norm 003s.jpg

The project is progressing nicely. "Norman" is almost totally torn down. The only problem I found is the end of the cross-feed screw is slightly bent. About 1/8" off of straight at the end. I'm strongly considering just leaving as is for fear of breaking it. Or maybe turning it down to straight and bushing it back to the original size. Open to anyone’s ideas though.
John

norm 012 (Large).jpg

Tearing down the saddle made me scratch my head a few times. The oil cup was an ingenious way to hide the pin to release the feed screw drive.

norm 055 (Large).jpg

The project is progressing nicely. "Norman" is almost totally torn down. The only problem I found is the end of the cross-feed screw is slightly bent. About 1/8" off of straight at the end. I'm strongly considering just leaving as is for fear of breaking it. Or maybe turning it down to straight and bushing it back to the original size. Open to anyone’s ideas though.
John

View attachment 118392
I don't think the handle end of the screw is hardened. Check it with a file. You should be able to straighten it. Use a hydraulic press and take it easy.

I don't have a press, but I'm pretty sure I can find one to use. I’ve been watching for the proper deal on one for a while now. The end is not hardened as you thought.
Thanks
John

John,
Thanks to Dave Smith (Rochester HM) I've got a 5 ton arbor press if you'd like to use it. Not sure if it will work for you, but you are welcome to it.

Daryl
MN

Thanks to Daryl and his connections we got the cross-feed shaft straightened. A press did the job. Thanks Cal for the idea. The 12 is slowly going back together. Been cleaning everything that comes apart. Most oil passages were blocked. The paint is being left as is.
clean14v.jpg

Back