Aloris BXA-71 Cut-off tool holder

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Will this fit the BXA size Precision Matthews QCTP?

I'm going to start with the .187 width blade 71-187-1BSL, but where can I find the inserts?

Thanks for the input. I didn't know what to search for. I guess I should have read Davids book, "Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe". I have it, but I haven't read the whole thing yet. I should have looked at the book before posting. :oops2:

The question remains will the tool holder fit the PM QCTP?

I only know about CXA sized stuff, but I have an Aloris QC tool post, and QC tool holders. My Aloris #71 blade has to go into a special holder that then fits into the QC Tool holder that fits the QC tool post. I also made another blade holder.

I believe you can purchase QC tool holders that are designed for the Aloris parting blade, but I don't have enough money for that.

Edit: The white donut I added to make all the holders easier to handle. It works.

Aloris parting blade.jpg

It looks to me that as far as Iscar is concerned, the GTN-3 is the .122 width, the .187 width would be a GTN-4. GTN-5 would be 0.201.

1645480060165.png

I have found three different blades for the BXA holder, 71-125-1BSL, 71-187-1BSL and 71-250-1BSL.

But Holy Cow, looks like lots of options!

It looks to me that as far as Iscar is concerned, the GTN-3 is the .122 width, the .187 width would be a GTN-4. GTN-5 would be 0.201.

View attachment 397510
The GTN-3 inserts is indeed .122" thick, and works in the 71-125-1BSL insert holder ( which is .120" thick ) The insert needs to be slightly thicker than the blade holder for clearance. Not sure what blade holder the .161" thick GTN-4 fits, as I don't know if Aloris makes a holder in that size or not. The Aloris 71-187-1BSL is .187" thick, so the insert would need to be somewhat thicker than that. Looks like the GTN-4.8 ( at .189" ) would be a better fit, I stand corrected on the GTN-5. I know for sure the GTN-3 works perfectly in an Aloris 71-125-1BSL as I use one myself.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know what to search for. I guess I should have read Davids book, "Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe". I have it, but I haven't read the whole thing yet. I should have looked at the book before posting. :oops2:

The question remains will the tool holder fit the PM QCTP?
Look on page 51 in my book - it's all spelled out there. The Aloris BXA-71 parting blade tool holding block with fit on your BXA QCTP just fine. You want the 71-125-1BSL blade and you want GTN-3 sized inserts. They are available in different grades depending on your material. If you want specific recommendations or web links, let me know. Depending on your lathe, you may be challenged to get the tool up high enough for the cutting edge to align with the centerline of your spindle. If you run into that problem, make yourself a gizmo like this which can be adjusted to raise the cutting height above the normal knurled nut bottom limits.

a.jpg

David,

Thanks for your input. I would love some links. Right now, the material I will be working with is 12L14 and Aluminum. And for the most part smaller stuff 2" or less. My lathe is a PM-1236T.

Tim

Back