Ammco shaper restoration problems

Hey partspro - any plans to do another run? I'd sure be interested.

I'm think about it. I still have the original "Bad" gear from my original or first Ammco, I just made up blanks of C grade phenolic and made new knurled press in nuts for the slide bolts and let a gear shop in Portland cut the helical teeth. Not even one complaint from any buyers, although I've spotted two people selling their Ammco's without even changing to the new gears, seems they had no faith in the phenolic and wanted backups.
There is really no reason to doubt the phenolic gears though unless you are an abuser or allow swarf to get inside.

Thanks - it's really not a doubt issue. I was cutting a slot in some mild steel and the parting tool caught and the tool pushed the steel out of the vise. It wasn't a violent event, no noise or anything, just shoved the materiel forward. Later, I noticed a knocking coming from my otherwise very quite machine and started investigating. Turns out, a chunk of gear had crumbled away just opposite one of the stop pins. It's still running - for now. Anyway, if you do another run I'm in for one.

Thanks again,

John - a suspect abuser :guilty:

Thanks - it's really not a doubt issue. I was cutting a slot in some mild steel and the parting tool caught and the tool pushed the steel out of the vise. It wasn't a violent event, no noise or anything, just shoved the materiel forward. Later, I noticed a knocking coming from my otherwise very quite machine and started investigating. Turns out, a chunk of gear had crumbled away just opposite one of the stop pins. It's still running - for now. Anyway, if you do another run I'm in for one.

Thanks again,

John - a suspect abuser :guilty:

Another potential customer here. I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of these shapers and the bull gear in it has some damage. Could someone post up the actual specs of the helical gear here ?

Thanks !

Im wondering if an aluminum gear might be a good upgrade. no doubt the phenolic was cheaper to make in that size and protect other more sensitive bits. Maybe aluminum would still provide some measure of protection.

I just finished up the restoration of my Ammco and have parts left over or parts that I have replaced. I have the input shaft with the small gear pulley and hand wheel. Shaft would need to be replaced but the rest is usable I also have a second set of new bushings for the shaft. Glen Lingshied in Tillamook Oregon told me last week he was looking to make another run of the phenolic gears. The gear is actually made of canvas re-enforced phenolic resin or what is known as linen board. Have used it for years and it has been used for gears in any number of application. I have a gear head drill press with these gears as well as the Austrian Emco lathes used this material for gears in the head stock. I also have an extra main shaft that the phenolic gear is mounted to as well as the bronze follower block that rides in the arm. Let me know what you need as these parts need to go somewhere.

Dennis

I just finished up the restoration of my Ammco and have parts left over or parts that I have replaced. I have the input shaft with the small gear pulley and hand wheel. Shaft would need to be replaced but the rest is usable I also have a second set of new bushings for the shaft. Glen Lingshied in Tillamook Oregon told me last week he was looking to make another run of the phenolic gears. The gear is actually made of canvas re-enforced phenolic resin or what is known as linen board. Have used it for years and it has been used for gears in any number of application. I have a gear head drill press with these gears as well as the Austrian Emco lathes used this material for gears in the head stock. I also have an extra main shaft that the phenolic gear is mounted to as well as the bronze follower block that rides in the arm. Let me know what you need as these parts need to go somewhere.

Dennis
Dennis,
Do you still have the bushings? I am looking for a set...
Thank you
Yuriy

Why did hey make the gear from bakelite? Was it to have a weak link in case of a crash?

I bought the ammco 7" shaper to use after I restore it. However, after disassembly I found that the original gears had been replaced by two sprockets and a chain to drive the ram. After cleaning painting and making new shafting for the pulley, it was reassembled but the clearance for the chain was too close and the chain rivets caused it to lock up. The drive could only be rotated about 180 degrees. The culprit turned out to be the connector link and the 1/2 link's pin. I would love to change it back to gear drive but I have no original parts to go by. I would need some specs on the two gears, for instance diameters, tooth count, and any other info that would help find replacements.
A second issue is the adjustable shoe that slides in the dovetail that the bull gear is mounted on. The shoe looks to have been replaced by a homemade version and is very sloppy so I want to remake it. In its present state the shoe, when adjusted to make the ram move more than 4", causes the jamming on the chain's connector link pins. I suspect that the shoe is too short. I'm wondering if somebody might be able to measure how long the shoe should be. When the machine is assembled and the nut is tightened to lock the shoe when the ram is set, the short shaft on the shoe shifts and the bronze bearing that slides in the rocker arm twists out of alignment and limits the sliding action, which also locks up the ram. The first picture shows the sprocket assembly with the shoe in place. The second shows the shoe removed from the sprocket assembly. Any information or parts sources would be much appreciated.
Denton

View attachment 93377View attachment 93378View attachment 93379

View attachment 93377 View attachment 93378 View attachment 93379
Denton, I'm restoring the same machine. Question: The shoe with the dovetail that slides on the bull gear, is it secured with the bolt that holds the brass slide or is it meant to slide when in use? Mine slides down to the bottom and jams when at the end of stroke. Tks.

Muskoka98 and all. I just acquired one of these shapers and even though this is mostly an older thread found lots of info. I'm just starting to get acquainted with the machine.

Back