An attempt to execute the 400 rpm threading for a G0602 plan

Pretty darn good going to the headstock, But it seems like you are losing something coming back. But it most likely is something seating in or a bur wearing of. Just that .006 in the last 2 runs would make me keep an eye out. Not A lot and on the back swing. I doubt it will be a big deal. Really nice job. can't wait for the video!
Mark

Hello Larry, the objective is make a trip arm that is repeatable in that there is very little if any slack in the joint. That is why I milled this from a solid piece. I performed the rounding by clamping the part to my rotary table. If you center the table and zero the dials or DRO's and then locate the part on the table using a center finder you will be able to mill the radius using a 0.125 end mill. After centering everything then back the table off until you just start clipping the corners and then proceed in until you have finished the radius. The idea hear is too end up with a trip arm that does not bind. The holes for the pin are pre-drilled and are used to locate the part while on the table. Repeatablility should be in the 5-10 thousands range. Here are a couple of photos and a drawing to help clarify my comments.

31 Dog clutch trip arm.jpg P1010724.jpg

I hope this helps. Your work looks very good, I am anxious to hear your experiences when used for threading.

Jim

I do believe that I am done. The trip rod, linkage, blocks, and trip lever are installed. I painted some of the exposed parts with Grizzly supplied touch-up paint, and sprayed tractor paint on a few of the hidden parts. The chip shield is notched and installed, as is the change gear door.

Pictures of the completed setup.
IMG_1119[1].JPG
IMG_1121[1].JPG
A video was requested. I had to use my smart phone to shoot it. Holding the phone while operating the lathe is cumbersome, but you can get the idea. The file is huge, so moderators may need to remove it if space becomes a problem....... Well I guess not. It will not upload mpeg4 files.

As a consolation prize, this is the result of the machining that was in the video.
IMG_1120[1].JPG

nice job Larry! how is it working? seems to have gone well on the first part. You could always stick the video on youtube and just post the link here. Just a thought. thanks for sharing this build with us.
Mark

Congratulations Larry, very nice. Your next project should be a variable speed arrangement, variable speed coupled with the threading clutch puts you in Nirvana. You can now use your threading dial as a paper weight, it no longer serves a purpose.

Jim

Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting for this project. The hardest part is the design.

Not sure if you saw my message yet, but don't do it!!! The clutch works fine in reverse. The trip mechanism does not. The results could be spectacular if you aren't quick on the E-stop button. I did it without thinking about the geometry of the linkage. I fortunately had my finger on the button.

For anyone else inclined to build this - DO NOT USE THE TRIP MECHANISM WITH THE LATHE MOTOR IN REVERSE!

Last edited:
Larry
That project come from a book I believe it is from:I think this is the book, could you confirm that
Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos
I think this is the book with this project in it, could you confirm that for me.
Thanks
Nelson Collar

I don't know about that book. The idea of using a dog clutch has been done before. This version was designed by Jim for the Grizzly G0602 10X22 lathe. It is in the magazine 'Home Shop Machinist" in the January/February and May/June issues. As Jim says in the article, the clutch can be fit to other lathes with possibly some modifications.

Larry
Thanks for replying, I seen it in one of the old Bedside Reader Collections and do not know which one. At $42 a piece it hard to buy them all on my little budget. I have the drawings from Graham Meek Designs for the South Bend Lathe. Not the greatest with drawings and a little help would be nice to make it.
Larry thanks for all.

Back