Another 'New to Me Clausing 8520' Thread

Thanks Terry! The bracket actually is on a factory molded boss in the column...I will have to do some digging but it definitely does look like a factory addition. I have absolutely no idea what, if anything, could be mounted there....I will scan some parts diagrams to see what I can find.

Of all the 8520's I have seen....I am truly stumped on this bracket..... The search continues.....

If you look on the knee....you can see the boss molded into the knee.....so close.....

Right View.JPG

That boss is on every 8520 that I've ever seen, but I do not know Clausing's (or Johanson's) original intended use for it.

Terry, I have not a clue.....I will have to inquire with Clausing when I call to find out the history behind my mill....

Thanks for your help....I more often than not...get squirreled off on the most unimportant things sometimes.....

BUT.....I do have another question....does my mill have a factory riser block?20170113_182308.jpg

I encourage you to attempt straightening of the y-axis handle and lead screw. After all, if you are intending to purchase or make new ones, then you have nothing to lose in trying to remediate the existing ones. However, really think through the process and the steps. I have straightened prop shafts, large drill bits, the x-axis handle on my mill - every one takes a different approach. Usually I have to make a custom holder or tool. Go slow and think it through - it is pretty easy to get 90% of the bend out, and sometimes that is sufficient (the last 10% can drive you nuts).

Do you have a lathe? Lead screws are a challenging project, but within the capability of a novice person taking some extra time. I have made 3 different lead screws, the challenge is managing tool push on the last few passes. Perhaps the actual lead screw is okay, and maybe you could cut it off and stub in a new end?

Let us know how you make out. David

Well, after continuing to educate myself on all things Clausing 8520, I think I have solved the mystery of the boss that is on the right side of some 8520 mills. It seems that this is the mounting point for the factory Measuring Attachment. Took me a bit but looking on the 1st page of the link, it shows the location of the boss. Some mills were produced without this boss and the manual explains the steps to drill the appropriate size holes to mount the measuring attachment.

Other than that, just been cleaning up the mill and slowly reassembling...she was dirty!! Will post some pics later as I progress through the reassembly.

Here is the link...

http://wentztech.com/WebDisk/Metalworking/Clausing/Clausing 8630 Manual.pdf

Back