Another Tool & Cutter Grinder

I just looked at all the build photos of my Bonelle and it is a beautiful machine, But so complex to use. Maybe I will set it up for general grinding , like necking down a tap body and jobs like that. It is a good machine and works well. What got me started building this new machine was the ease of operation and setup, plus that big air bearing will fit this bigger heavier machine better. The Bonelle weighs in about 80 - 90 pounds. This machine is almost double that with more travel in all directions and I think a higher degree of accuracy.
I just ordered a bunch of aluminum and steel for this build. I am waiting for it to arrive. My build cost is around $400 right now and the table was given to me. It costs $150 new. That is pretty good I think as the Bonelle runs about $500 to $600 buying all new materials.

I made the column base today. I was going to use steel on this part, but I changed the design and I had the aluminum. I think it will be plenty strong enough. It just scratches up easier.
image.jpeg
The one degree increments go from "0" to 90 then count down to "0" again. This gives four 90 degree quadrants. I am still deciding the final design of the column assembly.
image.jpeg
This base fastens to the machine bed and the column will turn in it to set the head angle. The plate that sits on this and is locked to the column with set screws will get clamped to this piece to lock the adjustment. This base is 4" square. As soon as the ret of the material gets here , I will finalize the design. Tonight , I will draw the print for this piece.

Mark
Looking very nice, love those graduations.
I be watching.
Nelson Collar

Mark
Where are you? Is everything alright, we worry about you.
Be well my friend
Nelson Collar

Mark
Where are you? Is everything alright, we worry about you.
Be well my friend
Nelson Collar

FEAR NOT! I am alive and well. I have been working part time for a friend for the last month, helping him and it has worn me out and I just come home, go to sleep, get up and do it again. I will be done with this job in another week and life will get back to normal. I have a whole pile of new parts and materials that have come in for this grinder , but have not gotten to the shop to do anything. Next week I hope to get back to it. I have a bunch of nifty stuff to play with. Keep watching!

Mark
It is good to hear from you. On Craigs List a local shop is getting rid of an old Brown and Sharpe overarm milling machine and all the cutters in the bottom box. To my looking around the net it is 1894 Brown & Sharpe Mfg. Co., #3 Plain Milling Machine. That is not guaranteed. $500.00 will take it.

They also have a very large South Bend with lots of extras. If I brought this thing home my wife would going to the attorney. Divorce would be evident. I am thinking about buying it and have it set up at a friends and use it there.
I think I am going to do it.
Nelson Collar

Mark
It is good to hear from you. On Craigs List a local shop is getting rid of an old Brown and Sharpe overarm milling machine and all the cutters in the bottom box. To my looking around the net it is 1894 Brown & Sharpe Mfg. Co., #3 Plain Milling Machine. That is not guaranteed. $500.00 will take it.

They also have a very large South Bend with lots of extras. If I brought this thing home my wife would going to the attorney. Divorce would be evident. I am thinking about buying it and have it set up at a friends and use it there.
I think I am going to do it.
Nelson Collar
GO FOR IT! I don't have anymore room in my small shop. I have filled it with machines I built. I may have to expand somehow. I would like a bigger mill but don't have room. Maybe someday.

OK.....I'm back.

I got some material and parts in the mail over the last week or so, so I decided to do a little work on this project today. The base for this grinder is a piece of 3/4" thick aluminum plate, 16" X 18" ( it is heavy and will make a sturdy foundation for the grinder ). I drilled four 1/2" holes, one in each corner to install anti-vibration leveling feet. The feet are 2 3/16" in diameter. They will hold the grinder well. I also drilled and tapped two 5/8-18 holes to hold the X Y table to the base.
IMG_0702.JPG This assembly weighs close to 80 lbs. I think I may have to assemble the grinder on the bench where it will stay because with the column and grinding head installed, I cannot pick it up and move it by myself.

I am installing a 1/2" thick , 2 1/2" wide support bar on the column for the elevatoin assembly. This bar is really not essential, but is more just to keep the screw supports aligned.

IMG_0703.JPG I put a 2" plug in the blocks for alignment while I ran a 3/8" reamer through the brass bushings for the screw. this is to be sure they are in perfect alignment.
IMG_0704.JPG With the support blocks on the column, and the screw in place, the set screws that hold the blocks to the column are tightened. Everything is in place now, and I am able to turn the screw with my fingers. This means everything worked out great and is in alignment.
IMG_0705.JPG I drilled four holes and tapped the support blocks 1/4-20. The alignment and support bar is bolted in place. I can still turn the screw with my fingers. WOW! :eek: Everything seems perfect.( That scares me). Next , I will disassemble the assembly to install the grinding head and get the column ready to install on the base.
IMG_0706.JPG I now need to install the head and decide the proper position to mount the column. Notice the pretty hand wheels now have spinner handles installed.

I wish I could figure out why the photos load sideways or upside down all the time. am I doing something wrong?????

Do you preview a post with pics before you upload it?

Do you preview a post with pics before you upload it?
When I upload the pics to insert them in the post, they upload turned sideways or upside down. they are fine on my computer but upload to the post turned.

Back