1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Any Honda Mechanics ?

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS' started by bosephus, Dec 26, 2016.

1. bosephus

bosephus United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Lisbon
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

i took my mom to the am track station last night and on the way home my crap box 2000 something civic started running rough .

went out this morning to start it and got nothing , it turns over fine . but has no spark .
    i used my google foo to learn how to check coil pack and things seem to be good .

whats the next logical place to look ? car has 266,000 miles on it and while it ran great up till today
    the body is getting rough ( rust) so throwing a bunch of money at it doesn't seem like a good plan .
    not to mention i don't have cash to dump into it .

so yea .. a logical place to start would be a big help . maybe cam/crank sensors ? or the timing belt ?
    i would bet money its still the original

2. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Yep, sounds like the belt may have jumped timing. Be careful it jumps too much could bend a valve!

3. bosephus

City:
    Lisbon
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

i had an idea the cam belt was the most logical place to start , think I'll go out before it gets to dark and pull the cam cover off and see if i can check belt tension and maybe if all the valves are working

4gsr likes this.
  4. bosephus

City:
    Lisbon
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I think I see car shopping in my future :(
    Got the cover off and cranked the engine over . At least two valves are stuck . If they are bent / broke or just plain stuck I don't know it got dark and cold before I could get any further . And doubt I go any further .
    I don't think the cars worth the investment it would take to fix it .
    Can't complain ... I didn't pay much for the car almost two years ago when I bought it . Excepting gas and oil I figure it cost me around $40 a month to own . Pretty cheap in my book .

5. darkzero

darkzero Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

If you physically checked & it has no spark, check the ignitor. They fail quite often on Hondas. Timing belt is not going to cause no spark.

FOMOGO likes this.
  6. bosephus

City:
    Lisbon
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

i think i have a multitude of issues going on , i definitely have no spark but that is the least of the problems i think .

i have two stuck exhaust valves , i cant physically see enough of the valve to tell by eye if they are bent . but its obvious they aren't working .
    curiosity got me this morning so i did a compression check on the two cylinders with working valves . 96 psi on one and 125 psi on the other .

i think i have gone as far as i need to , the mileage doesn't turn me off from having the head rebuilt or changed with a salvaged head .
    just the cars general condition , its pretty rusty and crusty underneath from Ohio winters and road salt .
    its time to say goodbye to it .

my brother stopped by this morning and knowing that my tastes run towards the lower end of the used car market offered to float me a loan to pick something up .
    and i have access to transportation until i find something so its just a minor bump in the road .
    maybe i'll get lucky and find another civic ... then i'll have spare parts :)