Any info on this brand of old vise?

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone recognize this logo cast on the side of this large vise I just picked up? It says Chicago Heavy Duty and has a lightning bolt in the middle of it but I can’t find anything out about it. When and where it was made? Is Chicago the brand maybe? I'm guessing it was probably made in Chicago. It probably weighs between 50-70 lbs. Thanks in advance for any info! -John

IMG_1374.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1377.jpg

Pretty sure that’s an import. Looks like it’ll do the job!
I don’t know everything of course, but I would wager it met our shores by freight through a harbor.

That's definitely an import pattern. I've seen a few others nearly identical, and none have had any country of origin markings. They put a little more effort into having the logo cast in place rather than a sticker, so I'd guess probably on the early side for import vises being common here....maybe the 1980s. Regardless, it's not all beat up, has some weight/size to it and should be a good user...nothing wrong with that!

Thank you all. Pretty sure it is an import now, too. I also asked over at Garage Journal and people said similar. I does seem to be solid and it was cheap. I won't be afraid to use it. I read something about someone wanting to refinish one like this and someone replied with "That's like putting lipstick on a pig." Now I think a pink pig with some lipstick may be its destiny!! I can see it now and my kids will think it's hilarious.

Back