Any options for a motor around 400W

RaisedByWolves

Mangler of grammar, off my meds.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I would like to slow down my delta 10” saw so as to be able to cut metal without the blade throwing sparks and wearing out prematurely.

Any options in this or even a smaller size?

I would like to slow down my delta 10” saw so as to be able to cut metal without the blade throwing sparks and wearing out prematurely.

Any options in this or even a smaller size?
Please post images of the saw. in particular the motor, mount and belt drive.
Also what types of metal do you plan to cut. More specifically how thick/wide?

Please post images of the saw. in particular the motor, mount and belt drive.
Also what types of metal do you plan to cut. More specifically how thick/wide?
Are you looking for specifics to develop a kit to offer or offering help?

Just curious, I’ll be as helpful as you like as I enjoy this type of thing.

I’m a Toolmaker setting up a small shop in my basement. I have everything to make a retrofit work, maybe even a belt reduction for more torque if need be of the motor lacks torque or will suffer running at a constant low speed.

Primarily tool steel under 1” will be the toughest work. Blades and blade efficiency will be my limiting factor. I’m currently using a 10tpi 1/4” .030 plain blade but would like to move up to bi-metal if I can find one that will go around the wheels without breaking the weld.

It’s a tri wheel saw and the standard motor struggles to even start with this blade let alone bi-metal.

It might be 1/10th hp, maybe 1/4.

I’ll get pics when I get out of work.

Are you looking for specifics to develop a kit to offer or offering help?
Asking for images is just habit as most who asked were from eBay. They did not understand blade speeds or torque needed to pull the right blade through the types of metal they were going to cut.
Obviously you already got this. I have too many designs in R&D to consider taking on another kit. However if you would like to make a kit,
I would be happy to list your kit on my web site and for free. That is the real object, Just provide the motors and let others create and market their conversions. Optionally you could share your project here on the hobby machinist.

Back to your saw:
The 550W is the smallest I have available. 4 Nm torque. It also has a new flat face soon to be released (ETA 5 months).
For the cost difference I would use the 750W
With a 10tpi 1/4" .030 blade the 550W will be plenty of torque providing the steel is 1" thick or less. maybe more.
Your choice of blade is interesting. I generally use a 1/2" .025 bi-metal.
Annealed tool steel will require slow blade speeds. My question is how many minuets run time to minuets cooling time?
These motors as set up will run 300 to 400 RPM under full load for maybe 5 minuets run to 4 minuets cool. The fan is running to slow at 300 RPM
to effectively move air. It's easy to add a large heat sink to the motor housing.

I can build the 550W or the 750W in any of the control unit, speed switch, designs you see.
The picture below is one of the versions listed on eBay. It is available now and at lower cost direct.
Thanks
Dan
20230711_094923.jpg

I just searched you up after seeing that commercial badge.

I'd like to order one of your 1500 W DIY controller kits for my Enco bandsaw. I'll make pulleys and mounts to suit, so just the DIY kit. Is it best to just order from your store, or do you prefer eBay? Do you have any special offers for us H-M nerds?

Asking for images is just habit as most who asked were from eBay. They did not understand blade speeds or torque needed to pull the right blade through the types of metal they were going to cut.
Obviously you already got this. I have too many designs in R&D to consider taking on another kit. However if you would like to make a kit,
I would be happy to list your kit on my web site and for free. That is the real object, Just provide the motors and let others create and market their conversions. Optionally you could share your project here on the hobby machinist.

Back to your saw:
The 550W is the smallest I have available. 4 Nm torque. It also has a new flat face soon to be released (ETA 5 months).
For the cost difference I would use the 750W
With a 10tpi 1/4" .030 blade the 550W will be plenty of torque providing the steel is 1" thick or less. maybe more.
Your choice of blade is interesting. I generally use a 1/2" .025 bi-metal.
Annealed tool steel will require slow blade speeds. My question is how many minuets run time to minuets cooling time?
These motors as set up will run 300 to 400 RPM under full load for maybe 5 minuets run to 4 minuets cool. The fan is running to slow at 300 RPM
to effectively move air. It's easy to add a large heat sink to the motor housing.

I can build the 550W or the 750W in any of the control unit, speed switch, designs you see.
The picture below is one of the versions listed on eBay. It is available now and at lower cost direct.
Thanks
Dan
View attachment 454985
Gotcha, thanks.

What is the size difference between the 550 and 750?

I have a mini lathe, mini mill and the saw I want to convert, and if I could consolidate them as far as size it would help me with making the necessary mounts.

As to the heat issue, I would most likely add a belt reduction for that reason alone. Let the motor run where its happy and have ridiculous amounts of torque. My blade might actually be thinner, but its a "Run what I can get cheap" situation as I have a blade welder and buy rolls off of FBMP.

No way this little saw would be able to run a 1/2" blade. I have a big antique Duro saw with a 10 speed gear box for that though.

Not mine but same saw, love that thing.

iu

Last edited:
I am using a Jet 18" saw with a manual gearbox for wood and metal. I have been thinking about scrapping the original motor and going with one of yours. Do you have a 1500 watt?
Hey you should put a link to your site in your signature line so it appears in all your posts.

Gotcha, thanks.

What is the size difference between the 550 and 750?

I have a mini lathe, mini mill and the saw I want to convert, and if I could consolidate them as far as size it would help me with making the necessary mounts.

As to the heat issue, I would most likely add a belt reduction for that reason alone. Let the motor run where its happy and have ridiculous amounts of torque. My blade might actually be thinner, but its a "Run what I can get cheap" situation as I have a blade welder and buy rolls off of FBMP.

No way this little saw would be able to run a 1/2" blade. I have a big antique Duro saw with a 10 speed gear box for that though.

Not mine but same saw, love that thing.

iu
That is much larger than I thought.
I would recommend at least the 1,000W See this link
1.jpg
3.jpg

The 1.5 hp will likely bolt right in place. The pulley is a USA version AK to fit 1/2" wide belts.
I have 2" and 2.5" pulleys. Check blade speed for the best choice.
Thanks
Dan

I am using a Jet 18" saw with a manual gearbox for wood and metal. I have been thinking about scrapping the original motor and going with one of yours. Do you have a 1500 watt?
Hey you should put a link to your site in your signature line so it appears in all your posts.
Absolutely. The video is the 900 but reality is the 1500 is the best option. I use it on my band saw and so do about 20 others now.

Reactions: rwm
Back