Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

Wow Ken, They look great. I love the look of that filament also.

Amazon just dropped off another roll of it this morning.

I was really really hoping for an early delivery, because I'm well into the 2nd r8 collet rack and was gonna run out of that color.

As some of you know I am teaching myself Fusion 360. Taking a lead from @Ken226 I sort of copied his design for a MT3 tailstock tool holder. It took me three days trying different ideas before I came up with a good way of drawing it. Not all day really but 2 or 3 hours each night, LOL. The first night was a total flop, I didn't get anywhere. Anyway, I designed it to hold two drill chucks side by side in the back two holes and have a little room between them. In the front I think there is room for a heavy-duty live center in the center hole (I don't have one) with smaller ones on the outside. I haven't printed it yet, but it looks like it should work.

MT3 Holder v5.png

As some of you know I am teaching myself Fusion 360. Taking a lead from @Ken226 I sort of copied his design for a MT3 tailstock tool holder. It took me three days trying different ideas before I came up with a good way of drawing it. Not all day really but 2 or 3 hours each night, LOL. The first night was a total flop, I didn't get anywhere. Anyway, I designed it to hold two drill chucks side by side in the back two holes and have a little room between them. In the front I think there is room for a heavy-duty live center in the center hole (I don't have one) with smaller ones on the outside. I haven't printed it yet, but it looks like it should work.

View attachment 426297
That's very nice. How is something like that printed? Mounting surface is the base? Hope to be able to make stuff like this. Lathe area is in need of serious reorganizing.

That's very nice. How is something like that printed? Mounting surface is the base? Hope to be able to make stuff like this. Lathe area is in need of serious reorganizing.

I've printed two so far.

set up so that its on the bed as its shown is his pic.

generate support structures, with at least two solid raft layers above the support structures.

Untitled.jpg

I printed my first using polyline linear supports 2.5mm apart, and one top solid support layer for the part to be printed on. It turned out decent.

The second I used a triangular grid support layer with 3 top solid layers and it turned out great. The undeside look as good as the top.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I've printed two so far.

set up so that its on the bed as its shown is his pic.

generate support structures, with at least two solid raft layers above the support structures.

View attachment 426312

I printed my first using polyline linear supports 2.5mm apart, and one top solid support layer for the part to be printed on. It turned out decent.

The second I used a triangular grid support layer with 3 top solid layers and it turned out great. The undeside look as good as the top.
Thanks. I have a lot to learn. How are the support structures removed? Just break them off?

View attachment 426297

The model looks good. Your definitely on the right track.

When you get to the point where you want to start adding some complicated geometry, the most useful tool in the world is the ability to add work planes at any location or angle relative to your part.

Kinda like Mr. Miyagi's wax-on/wax-off. It seems like such a simple tool of little useful value, but its the foundation that allows the lightbulb to come on later for thousands of ideas.

Here's a video on creating planes that I made for new Alibre users. The plane creation tools in Fusion are close, if not identical to Alibre.

I recommend that newer 3d modelers go through the plane creation tools and practice them. Every single one, one by one, over and over until they are second nature.

In that R8 collet rack I used several non-standard planes. For the flat area with "R8 Collets" engraved, I created a plane set at and angle to the top, rearmost edge of the part. Then offset that plane so that it intersects the part, then created a rectangular sketch and extrude cut, to create the flat. Then added the text and extrude cut, to engrave.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a lot to learn. How are the support structures removed? Just break them off?
Yes.

I use a scraping tool to wedge between the support layer and part layer. Sometimes they can stick pretty good and need some spatula action to cut between the support layers and the part itself.

The model looks good. Your definitely on the right track.

When you get to the point where you want to start adding some complicated geometry, the most useful tool in the world is the ability to add work planes at any location or angle relative to your part.

Kinda like Mr. Miyagi's wax-on/wax-off. It seems like such a simple tool of little useful value, but its the foundation that allows the lightbulb to come on later for thousands of ideas.

Here's a video on creating planes that I made for new Alibre users. The plane creation tools in Fusion are close, if not identical to Alibre.

I recommend that newer 3d modelers go through the plane creation tools and practice them. Every single one, one by one, over and over until they are second nature.

In that R8 collet rack I used several non-standard planes. For the flat area with "R8 Collets" engraved, I created a plane set at and angle to the top, rearmost edge of the part. Then offset that plane so that it intersects the part, then created a rectangular sketch and extrude cut, to create the flat. Then added the text and extrude cut, to engrave.

Thanks for the pro tips. I did use one construction plane on my drawing. I watched your video and played with each of the offset in Fusion today. I can see where they will come in very useful.

Thanks again

Back