Anyone ever upgraded a PM1030V to a 1.5HP motor?

starr256

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have had a PM1030V for just over 4 years, used it to learn how to make lots of things. I have actually been happy that it is just a 1 HP motor, as the motor stalls without breaking anything when I perform an idiotic operation. That was during the first couple of years. Now I am finding that a little more "umph" would be nice. Is there some limiting factor in headstock, gearbox or spindle? I know it may require a different controller. Just asking.

Are you finding that the motor slows down with heavy cuts? 1 HP is a fair amount of power if the controller is doing it's job
-Mark

Mostly at low RPM with things like cast iron flywheels I experience variation in RPM or even stalls.

Just checked the hardware for the 1030v it's a brushless 3-phase motor and vfd type controller, so it's expected that torque will drop off at lower speeds.
Nothing broken in other words. So yes you could install a larger motor/vfd combo
-M

i went to 3HP, 3 phase, w/VFD on one of my 1236 Shenwai lathes
i don't need backgears anymore

on my other Shenwai 1236, i went 2Hp , 3 phase w/VFD- i have not needed backgears here either

both perform flawlessly

Probably depends on what motor you can find that will fit, might be time to upgrade the rest of the machine if the motor is too small. I'd think carefully about what projects you want to do in the future, price upgrade options, figure how much you could get for the machine as/is, and make your decision with all that info.

400lbs is pretty light if you want to work large pieces or take big cuts.

John

A different approach. First, just to clarify, my PM1030V is a 1KW DC motor with controller. I rarely run the thing over 800RPM and frequently run at 100 to 600. Some times even down to 30RMP (single point threading). I recently came into possession of a VFD box that will take 120V single phase input and output frequency adjustable 230V 3 phase for up to 1 HP. If I got a 1hp 3 phase 230V motor, will the combination of the VFD and new motor provide better torque at lower RPMs? Or go with a 2HP DC motor and controller?

An update on my lathe motor situation. I acquired a 2HP brushless motor and controller from servomotorkit.com. I have had it operational for about two months. This install was not overly difficult. One thing I really like is the brake functionality. Stops on a dime. Great for single point threading. The acceleration functionality is helpful for maintaining steady RPM when the cut is aggressive. One downside is the mechanism for reversing the motor is cumbersome, but I understand he has a solution for that in the works. Anyway, overall, I am happy.

Back