Anyone know what the original Van Norman Mill colors were?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I have heard it was some sort of green, with orange handwheels. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Nelson

I know this thread is old, but I thought I throw in what I found on my VN-12.

Base paint (closest to metal) was thick, heavy and white. It looked almost like epoxy paint. Next was a light/bright green. Then came burnt orange.

I know it was burnt orange because two owners back purchased it from the University of Texas at Austin. UT's colors are burnt orange and white. Finally it was covered with a thin coat of gunship gray.

The white paint is the hardest to get off, followed by the burnt orange, green, then gray.

I have about 40% of the paint stripped off now. I found two numbers painted under all the paint. For example, under the tool tray found "404" painted in a blue color:
UnderToolTray_404.jpg

On the back of the column just above the coolant hatch is "414" or "474":
RearColumnBase_414.jpg

Sorry about blurry pictures, still getting used to the camera. Could these be production numbers? Auction lot numbers? :thinking:

Evan R.

UnderToolTray_404.jpg RearColumnBase_414.jpg

Evan,

I am fairly sure that the funny shade of green showing in your photos was the factory finish based upon everything that I have read, and the paint stripping I did on mine.
I believe the white was some sort of primer. The inside of the base where the coolant was held was white also.

The number eludes me, but you will find the serial number on various parts like the column ways, and Jim Kasinich's site http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Serial.htm gives you a rundown of the dates by serial number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that olive drab color is just above the filler on my VN12....it was then painted royal blue, then a crappy, chalky white (most likely primer). Can't decide what color to paint it myself. You can never go wrong with machinery grey. I've painted machinery Moss Rock Green, Gloss White, and Machinery Grey. They all looked nice. I actually like the dark machinery grey...it gives the tool a much more "handsome" look.

Yep, that olive drab color is just above the filler on my VN12....it was then painted royal blue, then a crappy, chalky white (most likely primer). Can't decide what color to paint it myself. You can never go wrong with machinery grey. I've painted machinery Moss Rock Green, Gloss White, and Machinery Grey. They all looked nice. I actually like the dark machinery grey...it gives the tool a much more "handsome" look.

Have any pictures I'd like to repaint mine.

Back