Anyone Make a Power Feed? I Have a Question

Dale_G

Registered
Registered
I'm working on a power feed for my MV-1. Looking for recommendations on what feature to put on the X-axis lead screw to connect it with the motor. I am considering a simple .125" slot across the end of the leadscrew, milled with a slitting saw, then milling a corresponding feature on the end of a driveshaft, which would then go inside a sleeve pinned to the drive shaft to make the connection. I have a simple mechanical clutch system figured out.

I'm going to hang the power feed off the left side of the table, like the original

I want to keep it simple because I'll have to use the BM to actually make the feature, so I'll be losing the X-axis screw. I can clamp the table down in X and use the Y to cut the feature with the slitting saw.

Does anyone know how Benchmaster attached the BM power-feed to the X-axis shaft?

I plan to do a YouTube video series on the project. The electrical parts are purchased: 12v gear motor, power supply, speed control with %power display, reversing switch, limit switches, and rapid traverse button. The bits and pieces have been surprisingly inexpensive so far.

Maybe a Lovejoy connector with a swivel?1675512949756.png1675513045228.png
Martin

Often you need to do something to extend the axis shaft then you can work with it from there. Depends on the existing hardware.
Some type of slide coupler would be handy to quickly go between manual and power feed
-M

Maybe a Lovejoy connector with a swivel?View attachment 436112View attachment 436113
Martin
Thanks for the pics! Going to go another route. Don't need a swivel, and don't want to just do a set screw to connect to the lead screw. I don't want to mill a flat or have a set screw goober up the leadscrew threads. I'll extend the lead screw to the motor shaft, and connect the two with a sliding coupler arrangement that will work as a clutch.

Yeah, I need to post up some drawings or pics...so far it's all in my head.

Often you need to do something to extend the axis shaft then you can work with it from there. Depends on the existing hardware.
Some type of slide coupler would be handy to quickly go between manual and power feed
-M
Just what I was thinking. Thanks!

Back