Arboga Clone Motor Swap?

I know this is a very old thread...
What ever became of the Arboga clone you were thinking about buying?
Did you get it?
I recently bought an Arboga E 830 clone.
It was built by/for Enco in 1988 in Taiwan.
220V 3 ph
I am building an RPC to run it and am going to loan it to my 86 yo best friend Kenny.
It is a nice, heavy drill. Runs quiet, etc.

Attachments

• 2023-07-09_10_40_13.jpg
    2023-07-09_10_40_13.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 2023-07-09_10_40_31.jpg
    2023-07-09_10_40_31.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 94
I know this is a very old thread...
What ever became of the Arboga clone you were thinking about buying?
Did you get it?
I recently bought an Arboga E 830 clone.
It was built by/for Enco in 1988 in Taiwan.
220V 3 ph
I am building an RPC to run it and am going to loan it to my 86 yo best friend Kenny.
It is a nice, heavy drill. Runs quiet, etc.
I didn't get it. It got bid up pretty quickly and higher than I was willing to go knowing I would either have to replace the motor or come up with another power source for it. I ultimately wound up buying a nice Powermatic 1200...it's not the machine the Arboga style are, but not bad. I would still probably jump on an Arboga/clone if I got a deal on one.

For anyone interested: I have one of those Arboga machines. It's a lovely machine and skookum as frig fir a drill press.

The motor can be removed, then the challenge is to make a bearing block to support the top on the shaft. I pressed the commutator off and used the original shaft, with pulley drive and a single phase motor. Worked well for years.

Last year, having got into the magic of VFD's, I decided to convert it back to the original motor. Luckily, I'd kept it, along with various parts I'd removed.
The motor required re-wiring of the coils (not rewinding) as, if I recall correctly, it was Dahlander configuration and wasn't going to work on 230V 3 phase. It's a simple job that I've already done on my Bridgeport pancake motor.
It's a joy to use with the VFD. Quiet, smooth, powerful.

Lo-Fi: would you be able to share what you did to re-wire the motor for 230V 3ph?
I current have mine running stock (without rewiring) on 230V 3ph but find it lacking in power...

Back