Atlas 10100/mk2 Compound Tool Rest Reinstall

Sorry. You're right. I meant 0.195". However, if your pins are only 0.187", Atlas didn't take advantage of the thread allowance as I assumed they would have done.

I don't have any attachments and now after more internet searching, I find I only have half of the compound slide. PO must have broken it. And a very ugly weld job to try and repair it. Looks like it snapped right where the tool post slides in. Did not come with motor either. My searching suggests that 1/4 HP should work, correct? It did have both a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks. My son works at a local machine shop and may be tasked with making the slide from scratch, he likes a challenge.

Yes. Actually, there are two of them. One is 371260694936 for $24.95. It does not appear to have the two set screws and pins. Another one @ $20 doesn't look as nice but does have the four parts. 400955003294

It might be a blessing in disguise that you didn't get a motor- now you can fit the motor of your choice, a variable speed DC motor is what I did- wonderful. Brushless are nice too.

I don't have any attachments and now after more internet searching, I find I only have half of the compound slide. PO must have broken it. And a very ugly weld job to try and repair it. Looks like it snapped right where the tool post slides in. Did not come with motor either. My searching suggests that 1/4 HP should work, correct? It did have both a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks. My son works at a local machine shop and may be tasked with making the slide from scratch, he likes a challenge.

The MK2 manuals do say 1/3 HP. However the earlier 6" catalogs used to say 1/4 HP and the only Atlas catalog I have that includes the MK2 says 1/4 HP. I certainly would not put anything over 1/3 on it.

a variable speed DC motor is what I did- wonderful. Brushless are nice too.

How, where do I get one of the (above) motors, and the VSD for it? The "HUM" that comes with the on switch is nasty.

I need the slide that goes on top of the parts on Ebay. I will also need the gibs for the upper tool post swivel.

The gib is considered a part of the compound slide, not the upper tool post swivel. You might go down to the Member's Area at the bottom of the home page and click on the Wanted folder. Enter a Wanted thread for the compound slide to fit an Atlas MK2. Part number is either 704-073 (late) or M6-303 (early), plus all of the parts that go on either one. Gib should come with it. If it doesn't, I assume you can still buy them from Clausing. They will be plastic. You will also need an M6-306 Nut unless it is still in the hole on the top of the Upper Swivel. You can probably get that new from Clausing as well.

Go back to eBay and do a search on Atlas gib 6. This turns up an M6-303 on an M6-302 with what appears to be all of the parts except the crank. Ad says that crank is listed separately. Price is about $100. Unit is painted blue so it is probably off of an early 10100. Search also turns up a bare M6-303 but it is $79 by itself.

So the round top(M6-303) and flat top(704-073) are interchangeable?

As complete assemblies, yes. Whether you could take all of the parts off of your broken compound slide and put them into a bare slide of the opposite style (round top, flat top), I suspect so but can't prove it. The reason is that in the 618 parts list the piece part numbers of all of the subassemblies are given. In the 10100 parts list two subassemblies are listed only as subassemblies, feed screw and collar, and crank and handle. The part numbers for the bare feed screw and the bare handle are not given. However, I just checked the Atlas 3950 (MK2 with ball bearings) which uses the early round top compound slide, and the same subassemblies do fit it. So I think its safe to say that each part in the early compound slide complete assembly is the same as the corresponding part in the late one.

How, where do I get one of the (above) motors, and the VSD for it? The "HUM" that comes with the on switch is nasty.
I found a motor of unknown HP (1/3?) at my local electronics surplus store, and a controller made by KB electronics on Ebay. Many people are using treadmill motors. Had to fab some motor mounts and an enclosure for the KB-125.
Most motors running off the 60 cycle powerline will make some hum. Mine does too, even though it's getting pulsating DC. I think brushless is quieter, but more expensive both for the motor and controller. I'm cheap:)

Back