Atlas/Craftsman 12" – AXA or BXA?

What tool post/holder size do you use on your Atlas/Craftsman 12"?

• AXA/100-series – would NOT recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BXA/200-series – would NOT recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OCJohn

Mostly harmless.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know there are plenty of AXA vs BXA threads, but I didn't find one specific to the Atlas/Craftsman 12 inch...

My case – I've already got a 7x mini lathe (with OXAs) and was on the hunt for something heavier. Wasn't really looking for an Atlas but found a deal on a late model 12" too good to pass up. This will be a short term relationship if the Atlas isn't the rigidity upgrade I'm hoping for. In that case, a BXA/200 system might be more future-proof for whatever comes next. But of course they cost more. And I don't know if BXA/200 would be too big for the Atlas 12... Decisions, decisions.

TLDR; what are other Atlas/Craftsman 12-inch owners using? Would you recommend it? If not, please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance – John

IMG_1739.jpeg

AXA is the appropriate system for the 12” lathe
There is little to no advantage in using the BXA system on a smaller and less rigid machine.
One nice thing is that you can use larger tools, but the lack of machine rigidity negates most of the advantage

I owned an Atlas TH42 (1042), the AXA was the perfect size

Last edited:
I am using an AXA on a 12" Atlas. I find it to be pretty big for the machine.

I have a much smaller, shop-made version on my 10" Atlas QC-42. It is about the size of an 0XA, but a bit smaller. I find that it is plenty rigid for that machine.

If I were you, I would try out your 0XA on your new Atlas. You might find that it is adequate for your needs.

I have a BXA on mine. Works just fine for center height, and I can share tooling with my larger lathes. Mike

If I were you, I would try out your 0XA on your new Atlas. You might find that it is adequate for your needs.
I feel like a dummy that never occurred to me! Even if I hate it, it won’t cost me a dime to try.

I made a Norman style QCTP for my craftsman 12x36. Fraction of the cost of the commercial QCTP's. I have had no problems using it.

IMG_3640.JPG IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

Back