Atlas Horizontal Mill

2430r

Registered
Registered
I purchased an Atlas MFC Mill about a month ago. It was basically in decent condition. I have done a good cleaning on it and it seems ready to go. My question is would there be any problem with installing casters on the factory stand it came with? Since I am tight for space, it would make things a lot easier. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased an Atlas MFC Mill about a month ago. It was basically in decent condition. I have done a good cleaning on it and it seems ready to go. My question is would there be any problem with installing casters on the factory stand it came with? Since I am tight for space, it would make things a lot easier. Thanks.

I have seen casters on a lot bigger mills than that one I cannot see why not. Ray

I built a flat cart out of scrap aluminum and put 3" swivel casters on all four corners. The cart width is slightly larger than the Atlas stand so that the nuts holding the casters don't interfere with the stand legs. In use on a smooth garage floor, it is stable and portable.

Unlike the lathe, the mill does not depend for part of its stiffness on the bench or stand that it is bolted to (a lot of Atlas lathe performance problems can be traced to this). However, if you do put the mill on a mobile stand, either use jack-up wheels or put effective brakes on all four wheels. And jack-up wheels are much the better choice. If the mill is easily movable while operating, you have an accident just waiting to happen.

Robert D.

2430, I am working on a Atlas mill myself. If you can post a picture of that original base, I would be very interested in seeing it.
Thanks, Larry

2430, I am working on a Atlas mill myself. If you can post a picture of that original base, I would be very interested in seeing it.
Thanks, Larry

If you got the picture, I missed it. Here's a few pictures of my base. I bought this mill at a school auction and nearly every part that could be taken is now apparently a student's souvenir. I assume that the base is the original but I'm not sure. If you want dimensions or more information, let me know.

P1160320.JPGP1160318.JPGP1160319.JPG

P1160319.JPG P1160320.JPG P1160318.JPG

Arlo, thanks for the pictures. I found a pretty nice cast iron base. Will take pictures tomorrow.

Hello All, Sorry for the delay in posting the pictures. My base is quite different from yours. Will post ASAP.

That I know of (have catalogs showing), Atlas sold two different floor cabinets for the mill and shaper. In the 1940's they offered the M1-750 hardwood cabinet. It had one approximately file size drawer and an open shelf the same size under the heavy wood top. By 1950, they offered the No. 9050 sheet metal floor cabinet. It has an open shelf below and a drip pan on top. I have one of those. My take is that the steel stand shown below was made for something else and adapted to a mill.

Robert D.

Back