Atlas Milling machine

Troubled1

Registered
Registered
I don’t know much about Atlas milling machines and was told by my brother that I should get one. I let him know I’ve been keeping an eye out for something but it seems he always snags the good deals. He sent me this picture of an Atlas and said I can take it for what he paid for it. He said it runs and has some tooling with it. There’s only the one picture. What can you tell me about this machine?
73725695730__8315A50D-B925-4B9E-9EC8-209F2DA1764C.jpeg
I can get it for $100 CDN. Which when converted to USD roughly $65

Grab it!
Good price. Can't go wrong.
Sure a horizontal isn't as popular as a vertical in most circles, they're still a lotta fun. That one looks to have the arbor and support bearing (important) and a full whack of spacers.
Clean and lube everything. ("Lube" as machinists all know, basically means "covered with oil".) A pile of shop rags and some ultra-fine steel wool and it will be a beauty.
You'll need some cutters. Wheels for your arbor. But you can also get a holder for ordinary end mills.
Gladly take whatever he'll send you.

Grab it!
Good price. Can't go wrong.
Sure a horizontal isn't as popular as a vertical in most circles, they're still a lotta fun. That one looks to have the arbor and support bearing (important) and a full whack of spacers.
Clean and lube everything. ("Lube" as machinists all know, basically means "covered with oil".) A pile of shop rags and some ultra-fine steel wool and it will be a beauty.
You'll need some cutters. Wheels for your arbor. But you can also get a holder for ordinary end mills.
Gladly take whatever he'll send you.
Something seems a little off. 3 step pulley on the countershaft but only a single in the headstock. Looks like original pulley on the motor and drive end of the countershaft. He said he’ll drop it off for me next week sometime. I believe by the round knob on the machine on the right hand side that it has the automatic table feed. I’m hoping he has some usable cutters with it. Glad to see it has a vise.

Here's the manual

Attachments

• ATLAS_Milling_Machine.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Sure.
Easy formula: 65 smackers = "ain't gonna be perfect".
But it's a good start.

3 step pulley on the countershaft but only a single in the headstock
I think the photo may be a bit deceptive — the belt may just be resting on the back gear assembly so it looks like it’s only a single sheave. But the multi-sheave pulley position is actually ahead of the back gear, so you might just not be seeing it in the shadows of the photo. You’ll find out soon enough.

I hear you though on something looking a bit off, there’s something about the countershaft bracket that doesn’t look right to me but I may be off base. Mine is an early MF and I know there were a couple of different iterations afterwards as far as range of speeds, so perhaps the countershaft brackets changed as well.

Can’t beat the price :encourage:

Back