Atlas Refurb and Tooling

It is written by atlas and has a great deal of information that applies to many different lathes.

Jamie

Mike,

Full title is Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables.

About 2/3 of it is or could be considered generic. All photos are of Atlas machines and accessories, of course. Roughly equivalent to the later editions of the South Bend How To Run A Lathe. All photos in the latter are of SB lathes. And early editions are heavily into line shaft operated machinery.

The MOLO was reprinted about every one to three years from 1937 to 1988 (you can still buy the 1988 new from Clausing). Photos in it evolved over the years. If you have an early vintage machine, you want an early vintage MOLO, and vice versa. For more details see the brief sticky message near the top of this forum, and two .DOC files in Downloads.

Which brings up another subject. Stickies at the top of the various fora on this site should be read by everyone at least once. At present in this forum, only the top one on Serial Numbers is open and may change frequently. Some of them at the top of some fora contain site rules and related matter. Gibbs Rule #0 is that ignorance of the rules is no excuse.:whistle:

Robert D.

So after all the prep work on the base/leg castings and the fine job of etch priming. I got a little smurfy and decided that I would slap on a coat of hammerite and see what I came out with. Well I will be going back through the stripping process. The Hammerite was very thick. Much thicker than I remember it ever being before. I had lots of problems with drips and sags and really don't care for the color. What I hoped to be a gloss black ended up being a mottled gray. My first intuition was to go with a spray paint and I thing I will go back to this. In Hammerite's defense, I think my shop was a bit colder than the recommended temp and although not recommended the can of paint could use a bit of thinning with xylene. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Jamie

Naah, the Atlas gods don't like anything but machinery gray. :lmao:

Robert D.

After my time in the Navy's canoe club. I have an aversion to Haze Gray. What is the preferred paint color and brand for painting these lathes?

Jamie

One of my favorite sayings is "haze gray and underway". Another one is... but I digress. Sears made Atlas use several odd blues and greens and I think Acorn in the UK used an unpleasant green. But Atlas used a gray that was very close to Rustoleum dark machinery gray through about 1957 and then shifted to the lighter machinery gray. Red, yellow, some green (except OD variants and Onan green), gloss black and anything hammertone would get a visit in my blast cabinet if it ever ended up here.:rofl: I also have a Shopsmith, which began life in 1955. About the only original parts still on it are the legs which one of these days are going to go gray.

Robert D
CWO4 USN Ret'd.

Back