Atlas Shaper Help

VSAncona

Active User
Registered
I'm just getting started on cleaning up an Atlas shaper that I bought awhile back. The step pulley on the side of the machine won't turn -- not even by hand. I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem. Has anyone here worked on one of these before that might be able to offer some suggestions?

I'm just getting started on cleaning up an Atlas shaper that I bought awhile back. The step pulley on the side of the machine won't turn -- not even by hand. I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem. Has anyone here worked on one of these before that might be able to offer some suggestions?
Hey Vince
My first question is which step pulley? If it is the pulley that drives the crank gear assembly you can take the backside cover off spray it with P B Blaster and hope for the best. The shaft this runs on has 2 bearings ,2 collars ,1 gear and a adjustment collar on the end of shaft.

Yeah, that pulley. I tried to remove the adjustment collar but it's stuck. I will soak it in PB blaster and see if that frees it up. It looks like it's been cross-threaded in the hole.

Hey Vince
After looking at my Shaper (Again) and cleaning a little dirt off. There is a set screw holding that adjustment collar (tight). It is on the Motor side of the Machine.
A Pin socket could be made for turning that Adjustment nut. ( Thanks) That will be my next Project.
The Shaper is an awesome Machine.

Thank you, JOEZ! I would never have noticed that set screw if you hadn't mentioned it. I checked this morning and sure enough, there is a small hole at the back for the set screw. I will try removing it tonight and see if I can get the adjustment collar off.

Your welcome. Keep me posted. I have a Repair Parts List book 15 pages full on this shaper.
I noticed you have a Pick o Matic for your atlas 10 . I am working on a custom change box for my 10".

Hi Joe,
If you haven't posted any pics/info on your custom change box I'd be interested.
Thanks,
Kevin

Hey Hellkell
I hope too put that Info in another post in the future. I have 3 (or so) projects that I am Juggling too accomplish this project.
Do you have an Atlas 10" lathe?
Joez

Yes I do and I hate changing the gears because it's a PITA. It would be neat to see your ideas.

Thank you, JOEZ! I would never have noticed that set screw if you hadn't mentioned it. I checked this morning and sure enough, there is a small hole at the back for the set screw. I will try removing it tonight and see if I can get the adjustment collar off.
Hey VSAncona
Just wondering if you have had time to work on your Shaper?
I made a Ratchet case cover for mine because the Original one was cracked
Joez

Back