Australian barn find 100 year old? lathe.

I would restore it… there is never enough space anyway… you will find a way to work around that…

Imaging, in the future, you passing that on to your son or daughter…

I'd clean it up, put it back together and check the bed wear, at 100 years old, there's bound to be some.. Getting beds regroumd can be an expensive proposition. But if it checks out OK and works OK, it's better than forking out money for a new one. Vertical slides for lathes are available from Hafco but they are not terribly good and will require scraping to get tolerances fine enough for milling. They are limiting, but better than nothing, I used a vertical slide on my lathe for years.
Lathes are self replicating machines so you may be able to turn up some parts for it, including the plain bearings in the headstock.
It shouldn't be too hard to connect a motor either on top or at the back.

Ok. Then I will do my best fixing it up. After that see if anyone wants it to buy it. Might need to wait for my father in law to die for that :p

More info on Engineering Supply Co. of Australia Ltd E.S.C.A

View of the Engineering Supply Co. of Australia Ltd. building on the corner of Edward and Charlotte Streets, Brisbane, 1915
The building was erected in 1914/15. The architects were Hall & Dodds and the master builder was A. Anderson. (Description supplied with photograph.).
Building is no longer there

and

book is no longer online.

I think we have a bingo. or at lease very close.

from half way down

"an IXL/Ehrlich from the early 1920s exported to South Africa and handled by the agent D.Dury & Co" some noticeable differences.

In the photos I see a 31,304 so I went out and looked at mine. There is a number stamped. quite a different number.

20230825_225604.jpg

I will pull it apart and see if there are any other numbers on it.

I can't make a call on the white paint from here, but I'd treat it as if it were leaded. That means wipe on-scrape off liquid paint stripper, no sanding, no dust. If you go straight to electrolytic derusting, the paint will safely end up in the water solution. Chemical derusting handles paint pretty well, too, so you should be able to do this job without inhaling any lead fairly easily using hardware store products. You know, in case you were wondering.

I can't make a call on the white paint from here, but I'd treat it as if it were leaded. That means wipe on-scrape off liquid paint stripper, no sanding, no dust. If you go straight to electrolytic derusting, the paint will safely end up in the water solution. Chemical derusting handles paint pretty well, too, so you should be able to do this job without inhaling any lead fairly easily using hardware store products. You know, in case you were wondering.
Good thing you said that. thanks.

Back