Australian barn find 100 year old? lathe.

Before I had a mill in my workshop I used one of these mounted to the crossslide of my 9" lathe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-Mill...3-9695-44e6-90a7-dc7231a89a57&redirect=mobile

That along with a cutter in the headstock will do some _light_ milling. Personally I bought an ER32 collet chuck that fit the morse taper in my spindle. That along with a draw bar will hold either a milling cutter or round stock for lathe work.

Is it ideal? Hardly, but a lathe with a milling attachment, drill press, vise, hack saw and some decent files can go a long way if you're patient and willing work on setups. A whole lot of old time hobby machinists did some cool projects with little more than that because throwing money at it wasn't an option and space was limited.

Winkys Workshop on YouTube might have some useful ideas for you on flat belts and adapting flat belt machinery to a motor. He's done multiple restoration projects using flat belt machines.

Was mostly thinking it would be better if I could control the speed of the thing without moving a band. And i think having more then 3 speeds.

I am a programmer and want to be able to run everything from my computer.

How come?
So I can use it as a mill. because I don't have the real-estate or the money to have 2

Likely, you could have filled the oilers, flipped the power lever, and had a mostly working unit already. Useful? That’s sort of personal. You’ll have to tell us how useful or useable you find it to be once you’ve completed your plan.
I was monstly wanting to get an idea of my chances of it being able to make good cuts and not brake apart killing me in the process. I think it will be fine but It is taking up valuable space.

Nope. You’ll fit right in around here. We’re always taking something apart, just to put it back together.
Perfect

In the business of machining, what you have there would be considered scrap metal. Technological improvements have made it obsolete. Unless you found it in the barn of some famous person whose historical status would earn it a place in a museum, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
That a shame.. but freeing

Make it a centurion cnc lathe if that’s what you want to do. I’m curious why you decided to go that route. You’re definitely not on trial here! Do you have a background in cnc? Or are you wanting to learn cnc programming?
I have done lots of CAD, CAM, additive and recently deductive CNC when I converted my 3D printer into a router CNC. I have not do any metal work apart from welding since half a life time ago when I did some fitting and turning in TAFE.

I have a few gift plans for Christmas in copper. That I hope the lathe will be up to.

I’ve often considered buying a small cnc unit, but it’d be strictly a business venture. Which is why I’ve only considered it. I don’t want to ruin my hobby with work stress. Do you plan to try to make money with this project in the end?
It's 100% hobby. I have a fine paying 9-5

I want to make sure my kids make things with me and grow up knowing that they can make things like I do.

Ultimately it’s your machine to do with as you please. We’re just here to cheer you on, and help you out when we can. Maybe even steer you in the generally smoothest direction. And me? I’m just here to make jokes mostly, and marvel at human ingenuity. Looking forward to your progress!
I am looking forward to giving this one a bloody good go and see where it take me

Last edited:
Second, to help identify the manufacturer we need more info. Is there a name cast into the bed somewhere? Or maybe the legs?

20230825_001910.jpg
This is the only other badge like thing on it.

No idea what is going on at the top.

I have just spent an hour with a couple cups of coffee going thru the list of Australian made lathes here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/australian/
Nothing looked identical, but it could certainly be an import.

Wow thanks. I thing it's 99.9% chance that it is nothing special

Also, could you provide some better pictures of the bed and carriage?
I'm having a difficult time even seeing if it has flat or vee ways......
20230825_001840.jpg20230825_002708.jpg20230825_002729.jpg20230825_002700.jpg

Before I had a mill in my workshop I used one of these mounted to the crossslide of my 9" lathe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-Mill...3-9695-44e6-90a7-dc7231a89a57&redirect=mobile

That along with a cutter in the headstock will do some _light_ milling. Personally I bought an ER32 collet chuck that fit the morse taper in my spindle. That along with a draw bar will hold either a milling cutter or round stock for lathe work.

Is it ideal? Hardly, but a lathe with a milling attachment, drill press, vise, hack saw and some decent files can go a long way if you're patient and willing work on setups. A whole lot of old time hobby machinists did some cool projects with little more than that because throwing money at it wasn't an option and space was limited.
This is really close to what I am aiming for after getting the thing running.
throwing money
I really can't be doing that.
Winkys Workshop on YouTube might have some useful ideas for you on flat belts and adapting flat belt machinery to a motor. He's done multiple restoration projects using flat belt machines.
Will give them a look

Thanks

I found some staff with ESCA in it

Tue 31 Jul 1928 The Brisbane Courier.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/21311975/1652500

"The motorist who visits the- warehouse of the well-known firm of E.S.C.A., Ltd., at anv time, but particularly during Show Week, will see a wonderful array of tools of all descriptions, but especially of good tools."

Restore, yes, CNC would be crazy.
Crazy? Yeah. Like a fox.

The issue with really old lathes is that they tend to be really worn. You may be able to scrape them back in, if the ways aren't hardened, but that is an entire different skill set. If you can get most of the machine tight enough, you can have the software compensate for the wear. It can also replace some parts that haven't been made in decades, like taper attachments, change gears for metric threads, ball turners, etc.

I'm making plans to convert my 1942 Sebastian. I'll replace the lead and cross-slide screws with ball screws and nuts. One closed-loop stepper will get hidden in the quick-change gear box, another in the carriage. The spindle gets an encoder on the back side. I should be able to sell off the taper attachment to help cover the cost, as I won't need it and it's really in the way anyhow. Then I'll rework the innards of the carriage so that all the controls activate encoders and microswitches. Essentially turn the apron into a VERY large pendant.

I'll leave all the handles, change gears, etc in place, while hiding the steppers, so it will still look exactly like a 1942 machine form a distance. All the controls will do what they did in 1942, only now they'll be run through a computer. It will still feel like a 1942 machine. But, I'll have a DRO. And I'll be able to implement some "soft limits" to make the machine safer. And I'll be able to run gcode.

But that's just crazy ol' me talkin'. :)

On second thought , after reading your posts I would think the best thing to do would be to just clean it up . Get it running and sell it to a person that wants a vintage line shaft lathe , you never know you might get some decent money for your trouble . Dealing with limited space is a challenge . In post #5 you mentioned that you need to do more milling than turning , I don't think you would be all that happy with a milling attachment .

Last edited:
After reading your answers, I think you have this one in the bag. I look forward to following along in your adventure, should you choose to share it with us.

Back