Best Fix For A Worn Axle?

Boring Specialities, Now owned by Timken. My family was pretty close to the owner that started the company back in 1975. Old man Charlie Elder II started the company. My dad worked for the man when Charlie worked at Drilco back then. Charlies brother in law Gary Dowling, started Dow Machine in 1978, another deep hole drilling company in Houston.

Was there a fellow there named Clarence something a few years ago, maybe 15 or so, who passed away?

The weight of the rotor would be my only concern. I wouldn't trust a pressed on sleeve, I don't think so welding might be the best option. I guess any welding, be it conventional or spray, would be fine and simple.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeve or weld shaft, time consuming and expensive. Nowadays, metal spraying is the choice of most motor rewind/repair shops. I've had them save several old large (10HP & greater) hard to find motors with metal spray and OD grind to fit and rewind/redipp windings.

Abom79 (on utube) has a somewhat recent video of a similar issue with a shaft repair. He shows the metal spray process in detail & the subsequent re-machining.

We used to chrome plate worn shafts, etc. then grind or turn them to size on a lathe with centers. When grinding we would have a vacuum VERY close to the grinder to pick up the chrome ground off.

I'm beginning to wonder on the wisdom of this with all the respritory issues I'm having now. Way back when we did stuff that OSHA would have a cow over now.

Abom79 (on utube) has a somewhat recent video of a similar issue with a shaft repair. He shows the metal spray process in detail & the subsequent re-machining.

I am a fan of Abomb. That young man knows a bunch for his age. I first saw spray welding back in about 1967 when I worked in the machinetool repair industry. It's results back then were not what I would call great but I'm sure things have improved a lot since then. I have watched Adam do it and then machine the sprayed area with great results.

Thanks a lot for the replies and Tom, especially for your input. I never thought about the utmost importance of the correct length between the shoulders. Maybe I should just take it to the shop and have them do it.
I'm situated in central South Africa and will take it to an engineering shop in Bloemfontein.

Back