Big Price Drop

MonkMan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone know why the prices of some Southbend lathes have dropped (by almost half) over at Grizzly?

Thanks
MonkMan

Does anyone know why the prices of some Southbend lathes have dropped (by almost half) over at Grizzly?

Thanks
MonkMan
I have no inside information on that, but I assume that they are not selling at the astronomical prices they were asking for Chinese lathes with South Bend labels. Apparently the South Bend aura did not get inherited by the offshore products. I would not be surprised if Grizzly stopped selling them.
"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." Abraham Lincoln.

YUPP , CANT FOOL ALL OF US . THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL SELL IS TO BE IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE. IF ITS NOT MADE HERE THE PRICE SHOULD BE NO HIGHER THEN OTHER CHINA ITEMS.

It's not as thought the Chinese can't build good stuff, they have put satelites into space. I suspect that people are a bit leary about spending that much extra on something that they are not sure is higher quality, which may be hurting thier sales, thus the price drop. They may well be much better than the Grizzly branded items, but perception is everything.

HI AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM. IF ITS MADE IN CHINA THE PRICE SHOULD BE IN LINE WITH OTHER CHINA PRODUCTS. YUPP CANT FOOL US .

Most of the Grizzly SB machines are made in Taiwan and some seem very similar to other quality machines like the ERL and RML lathes by SunMaster. Many of the SB machines are selling for about 50% of their regular price and represent good value at this point if you compare them to similar machines. It would appear that this line of machines might be phased out, the list prices were just too high and they probably didn't move.

Thanks Guys,
I have been looking at these for awhile and thought since they were Taiwan made the quality would be better. The warranty stinks compared to some others but with a 50% discount I may go for it.

I appreciate all the feedback. Great forum.....

MonkMan

For what their offering, there's no way in Hades I'd pay what they're asking. I've heard a lot of unhappy critiques about the "new" SB chucks and tooling, too.

Back