Building an Aligator

My Dad used to guide on the Gunflint Trail (Northern Minnesota on Canadian Border) in the thirties. He described one of these things to me and we both marveled at what a really good idea it was given the dearth (and expense) of the alternatives. I had the impression that it was used to make trails, and was still in use in the late twenties early thirties.

Thanks David. We're using a butyl chalking between the planks and nailing them with galvanized nails, After the bottom and steel edges are in place the plan is to drill down through the sides and pull/reinforce it with 5/8 threaded rod every 2 feet.
Greg

How do you plan to do the drilling?

I have a couple of what I believe are called Bell Ringer Bits. Auger bits about 18 inches long with a screw thread on the end. Hopefully they'll get us started straight then use a spade bit welded to an extension to continue on through. Staying within the width of a 2x4 for 3 1/2 feet could prove to be interesting.
Thats about the same time frame here as well, by the 20 and 30s steel hulled diesel powered boats with propellers took over, but a few lived on for a little while. One of the chaps involved with this crazy project worked on one in 1946 for a summer job in Algonquin park. He's in his 80's now.
Greg

Mortised pockets into the sides for timbers to span the ends and support the back of the decks and cabin above.

IMG_1332.jpg

Need to get my lumber pile covered, sawed these red pine 6x6's this spring, getting mould on them.

Thanks for looking
Greg

IMG_1332.jpg

Spent a little time on this project today. The sides now have 2x6 white oak laminated to the edges. Ready to start planking the bottom.

IMG_1407.jpg

Greg

IMG_1407.jpg

Hi Greg,
I see the Alligator is really coming along - and even using some of the lumber from your mill. I see that your dog is keeping a close eye on proceedings and seems to approve.
Michael

There was a replica Aligator here in Simcoe on the Lynn River in town for few years. They took it north a couple years ago for some logging celebrations up in the Huntsville area of Ontario. I guess it stayed up there as it has not been on the Lynn River the last two or three years. They where originally built here in Simcoe Ontario for the logging industry.

There was a replica Aligator here in Simcoe on the Lynn River in town for few years. They took it north a couple years ago for some logging celebrations up in the Huntsville area of Ontario. I guess it stayed up there as it has not been on the Lynn River the last two or three years. They where originally built here in Simcoe Ontario for the logging industry.

Hi
I saw it on the Ottawa river for some celebrations a couple of years ago, thought it went back to Simcoe a year or so ago. It was a big boat, equipped with twin propellers rather than paddle wheels.
Thanks
Greg

Well they have a special dock on the Lynn River for it but I haven't seen it back here since they took her out for the shows. It could be dry docked some where. :headscratch:

The crew has been getting some work done on the boat. The bow and bottom are planked, today we built the skids for the bottom. Left the stern open to get inside to put planks that the skids will through bolt to.
The chap inside the hull is 86 and hard at it, he actually worked on one of these as a deck hand when he was a kid. The chap on top just gave up his medical license at 84. Makes me feel like a kid working with these guys.

IMG_1461.jpg

Greg

IMG_1461.jpg

Back