Can someone explain Hardinge lathes to me?

My advice to the OP is to not look for Hardinge lathes if he doesn't need the level of precision that their reputation. You are paying a premium for the name, and for most users a South Bend, Clausing, or even a decent import will be plenty good enough.

I often see newbies being advised to only settle for a Kurt mill vise. Let's be realistic. A newbie will be lucky to push the limits of an older, quality vise (as long as it isn't worn out) or a decent import. Only after getting the skills, and having a high-quality mill in good condition will the Kurt make a difference.

It is easy to spend other peoples money. The Government is skilled at this.

My advice to the OP is to not look for Hardinge lathes if he doesn't need the level of precision that their reputation. You are paying a premium for the name, and for most users a South Bend, Clausing, or even a decent import will be plenty good enough.

I often see newbies being advised to only settle for a Kurt mill vise. Let's be realistic. A newbie will be lucky to push the limits of an older, quality vise (as long as it isn't worn out) or a decent import. Only after getting the skills, and having a high-quality mill in good condition will the Kurt make a difference.

It is easy to spend other peoples money. The Government is skilled at this.

Ive owned a few southbends and Ive never been a fan of the small bushing head lathes. Hard to spin them fastI. have a big Hendey Im rebuilding the apron on right now and once thats done I expect my drive for a precision lathe will be reduced a lot.

Back