Carefull What You Ask For

dlane

Active User
Registered
A couple weeks back I was looking for a good tool grinder, I asked some acquaintances at the local watering hole. When I went in there yesterday one of them said they had a grinder for me in the back of his truck.
The thing is a monster , 12" X 2" wheels 1hp 3ph ,weight abought 350# , he said it's been in his truck for a week , waiting to show it to me. He sold it to me for $50. I really didn't need another grinder by then but I felt obliged to buy it, I don't have 3ph at shop , no way to tell if it works he said it worked 5yrs ago, I'll prob clean it up and try to sell it for $200. It looks dangerous.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Any one have any experience with one , the guards are aluminum and could use some tig welding here and there. What U think ?. Is it worth fixing up to sell, I'll have to bring it to a 3ph source to see if it works. Think it would grind a 1/2" tool bit.

Last edited:
Those cast iron bases are expensive I'd keep it, I paid over $500 for my Baldor cast iron base.

That looks like a real good quality machine, good heavy duty tool rests,, large diameter bearings and a place for a water pot, I would keep it in a heartbeat. The problem with new machinery of this type is that it is VERY expensive, or not quite so expensive, but crap!

Phil

Made when American & British + most of the continent of Europe machine tool were quality & lasted for ever

Oh, that base...
1 hp is mighty small for that size grinder. mine is a 12/2 and is 5 hp, although i found a 60 grit 3" on eb. for $50 and i really use it a lot. i got mine for $100 with no base ,so good deal. btw, mine runs just great on a 5hp static comverter i got from enco on sale for about $80. so does my bp, my 8/16 surface grinder and the 24/60 lathe. i dont know why everyone whines about needing a ton of money rotary converter, my static has lasted just fine for over 10 years. thats a 8", 1 hp sears grinder on the left !!!!grinders.JPG

Derrick, if you want to sell it I will give you well more than you have into it. I am in Sacramento.

Bob , thanks for the offer I'll probably be headed to Lincoln within the next month.
I'll send you a pm

you know, if someone does you a favor like that I'd think carefully about flipping it. I'd feel like quite the mug of that happened to me - you might end up missing out on the deal of the century for the sake of $150. just a different perspective

Back