Carriage Slide Nut Replacement???

Hi guys, does anyone know the dimensions (particularly the thickness) of the 9-87 washer/shim that goes between the cross-slide nut and the cross-slide? I can't team to find it on google. Sears wants $30 for that little piece (now part number DP9-87) which seems just crazy for that part. I'm hoping to find a washer at Ace Hardware that will do the same thing or to make something if not.

Thanks!

You aren't going ti find any washers at Ace that will work. As I said earlier, you may not need any of the shims. My 3996 didn't have one. But the replacement nut needed one, although I decided to put the original nut back in.

Prices at Sears were typically somewhat higher than prices at Clausing on parts that Clausing still has on hand. However, Clausing had the shims last year so I can't account for Sears asking $30. Unless they've got the part numbers screwed up and quoted you something else. I can't recall what I paid for the two I bought from Clausing last year but it wasn't anywhere near $30. If you need to buy anything else, like the nut, call Clausing. If you don't need anything else and you already have a good pair of ten snips and a set of Arch punches, the sheet of shim material you'll have to buy will probably cost about as much as the shipping (UPS has no increments under one pound).

In any case, the dimensions of 9-87 are as follows:

Length 1"
Width 3/4"
Thickness 0.011" (probably a nominal 0.010")
Hole is in the center.
Hole diameter 0.375"
Corner radius about 1/16".

As Robert said you may not need it. It is there to align the hole in the car rage slide nut with the crossfeed screw. My original cross slide had one and when I went to the t slot cross slide I put it back in. When I would bring the cross slide all the way out it would bind. I ended up removing the shim and that solved the binding problems I was having.

Back