Cataract No. 5 mill ?

Mechanik

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone
I stumbled across a mill while shopping for a lathe - as one does. I was very taken by the Hardinge tag and made an offer on the spot. This is a big (for a bench mounted) vertical mill. I'm guessing it was offered with a box stand, but in this case it is on a solid wood bench. The most alarming defining characteristic is the stacks of 5 big, open pulleys on top. It has a cast door on the side that says Cataract No.5. Milling Machine. Hardinge Brothers, Chicago Ill, USA. It seems to be a rarity since I find its not present on the internet (!). Can't find one example. Can anyone give me any info on this machine?
thanks!

I know, you're saying post a picture -which I will - when I find my cable. But on further examination, I may be looking at a 'franken-mill'
The bottom half is bon-fide old iron, but what's on top looks well but home made - its got a coat of hand applied smoke gray paint all over.Th headstock (is that what you call it?) seems to have once had a plate bolted on the left side face that is noe missing - Theres a foat face with some both holes. It has a stack of die cast V belt pulleys on the quill, with a big old motor 110v, mounted vertically on the left side, a bit back, with the corresponding stack off pulleys (the biggest of which in each case must be nearly 12")

Ya didn take pictures :cautious:

Caught me while typing :)

Post a picture ! :) ( somebody had to say it ):big grin:

Is it like this?

36310-A.jpg

Craig
(Not mine.)

THAT is interesting.

I think I'd move the head another 2 inches farther toward the operator, to get it more centered over the table, though. It looks as if the only Z movement is the Knee. (such as it is).

If nothing else, it's a historically significant piece, transitioning between a drill press and a mill.

There have been a couple of Frankenmills posted here. There was an interesting one here locally that was a Hardinge horizontal mill with a Bridgeport head on it for $1800.

While very interesting the thing that strikes me if your mill is anything like the one pictured is basically no Z clearance. It might seem ok just looking at it but once you mount a good vise 1/2 your Z is gone and put drill chuck or a boring head on it and you’re stuffed. As one who uses a mill drill I deal with this reality of the design limitations all the time.

OK, here it is. Whaddya think?

Attachments

• frankenmill hig med.jpg
    frankenmill hig med.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 30
The Cataract brand on the cast door is just visible on the side of the pedestal below motor, picked out in black. The table and traverse look like top class Hardinge, the rest...meh. But solid :)

Hard to see because the pic is so small I can’t even hardly blow it up. But it has even less Z than the other pic. It is cool no doubt but it would have limited use for me. Maybe a second op mill :)

it does look like a converted horizontal mill. If it’s so cheap you can’t pass it up maybe you can further the Frankenization to give you some more Z.

Back