Centering microscope for the LMS 3900 Mini-Mill

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
Anyone know where to find a centering microscope for the LMS 3900 Mini-Mill? The spindle has an R8 taper, so the microscope will have to fit that. I plan on drilling brass plate for clock pivots, so hole placement will be critical.
Thanks in advance,
...Doug

If you don't have a computer nearby, I would just get one of the cheap endoscopes and slap it in a collet. Either the ones like HF sells:

image_11494.jpg

Or the USB ones they sell on ebay for not much money if you have a computer nearby. I picked up a USB microscope for under $40.
My real preference would be the cool USB Borescopes that you can pick up for $20-$30 on ebay. They come with as much as 20' of cable. Pretty slick.

image_11494.jpg

If you don't have a computer nearby, I would just get one of the cheap endoscopes and slap it in a collet. Either the ones like HF sells:

View attachment 70911

Or the USB ones they sell on ebay for not much money if you have a computer nearby. I picked up a USB microscope for under $40.
My real preference would be the cool USB Borescopes that you can pick up for $20-$30 on ebay. They come with as much as 20' of cable. Pretty slick.

Those look interesting, except there's nowhere for the cable to exit my collet. It can't come out the side of the spindle housing, and up on top there's the collet closer.

I picked up a center scope for $100 on ebay.
Works well. However the reality is that my current skills can't keep up with the accuracy that it allows.
Regardless, It's actually huge fun.

Daryl
MN

Hello Daryl, I've seen a few centering scopes on eBay, but none of them say they are made to fit an R8 collet, so I never bought one. Maybe you're supposed to stick a protruding mounting stem into a collet - is that how it works? I thought an R8-fitting scope would be made to fit in the spindle like a collet body.

Hello Daryl, I've seen a few centering scopes on eBay, but none of them say they are made to fit an R8 collet, so I never bought one. Maybe you're supposed to stick a protruding mounting stem into a collet - is that how it works? I thought an R8-fitting scope would be made to fit in the spindle like a collet body.

Yes, that is exactly how it works. My scope has a 0.375 shank, just put it in a collet like a tool bit.

Mine has a 1/2 inch straight shank and fits into my Cincy monoset collets, should do the same with your R8.

I'm not sure if I should have attached the digital copy of the manual.
If the moderator disapproves, then please delete it. I can't figure out how to delete attachments.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• Center Scope 1-5.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • Centering Scope 6-9.pdf
    964.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Centering Scope And Layouts.pdf
    805.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Centering Scope Edge Block.pdf
    496.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Centering Scope Rotary Table Plug.pdf
    439.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Centering Scope Use Of Optics.pdf
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 98.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes, that is exactly how it works. My scope has a 0.375 shank, just put it in a collet like a tool bit.

Thanks Jim - OK, thanks for the clarification. Elegantly simple...

Mine has a 1/2 inch straight shank and fits into my Cincy monoset collets, should do the same with your R8.

I'm not sure if I should have attached the digital copy of the manual.
If the moderator disapproves, then please delete it. I can't figure out how to delete attachments.

Daryl
MN

Well the .pdf's were still there this morning, so I gather it was OK! Thank you so much, Daryl. What a great group this is.

Back