Changing the Dp in the middle of a gear train

Blair

Registered
Registered
If you have a 40T 8DP Idler gear driving a 48 tooth gear and you want to change the gears before the 40T idler to a 10 or a 14DP gear set!
If you attach, say a 40T 14DP gear to the side of the 40T 8DP, and you keep all the gears before the 40T 8DP gear the same number of teeth but now they are 14DP gears. Will this change the ratio between them because the 40T 14DP gear is smaller than the 40T 8DP gear it is attached to the side of it.
I think it will not because its the same number of teeth on the same axis, but I'm not sure
I want to change this to a smaller DP because i am limited for room to put in my metric transposing gears

The overall ratio is determined by the number of teeth, not the DP. You will be good with the change you are proposing. One caveat is that when you increase the DP, the strength of the gear decreases.

My Grizzly G0602 does exactly what you are suggesting. It uses a Mod 1.5 gear set on the spindle and its mate because the larger gear diameter allows a larger bore diameter but changes to Mod 1 gears for the change gears to provide reasonable diameters for the 120/127 transposing gears.

The overall ratio is determined by the number of teeth, not the DP. You will be good with the change you are proposing. One caveat is that when you increase the DP, the strength of the gear decreases.

My Grizzly G0602 does exactly what you are suggesting. It uses a Mod 1.5 gear set on the spindle and its mate because the larger gear diameter allows a larger bore diameter but changes to Mod 1 gears for the change gears to provide reasonable diameters for the 120/127 transposing gears.
Thanks just wasn't sure, but it made sense to me that it would work, strength should not be an issue cause it's only for cutting metric threads and there's not much load on each cut. After cutting thread put original gears back

Thanks Again

Back