Cheap End Mills

The life expectancy of a HSS end mill is about 80 minutes under optimal conditions. I have not noticed too much life difference between the HF end mills that I buy and the good ones. For most utility uses I find the cheap ones are a better value. If I want fine finishes or very accurate keyways, then I bring out the good ones. IMHO there is a place for both qualities in the shop.

Nice! Heck, I just need some decent starter sets to fill in that gaping hole that is my tooling inventory. I'll look into swapping out with nicer stuff later on.

I had a problem with import end mills lasting until I got a mill with a Tach. Too much tip speed sure messes them up fast. I used 2, 3/8 mills for the threading clutch I just finished... and I'll sharpen and continue using them for the next one.

Something that I have long kept in mind is whether or not I can easily get my endmills resharpened or not. Since I do not have my own T&C grinder, I currently do not have a way to sharpen them, and I do not know of anyone nearby that does have one or that is willing to sharpen my end mills for me. So, I buy the cheap ones, knowing that once they are dull, I will probably throw them away. Problem is I have not yet dulled any to where they need to be sharpened or replaced. Time will tell the tale, but in time I may end up with a way to sharpen them as well. Mark's T&C grinder project looms heavily on the horizon for me, but it is still a ways away.

Something that I have long kept in mind is whether or not I can easily get my endmills resharpened or not. Since I do not have my own T&C grinder, I currently do not have a way to sharpen them, and I do not know of anyone nearby that does have one or that is willing to sharpen my end mills for me. So, I buy the cheap ones, knowing that once they are dull, I will probably throw them away. Problem is I have not yet dulled any to where they need to be sharpened or replaced. Time will tell the tale, but in time I may end up with a way to sharpen them as well. Mark's T&C grinder project looms heavily on the horizon for me, but it is still a ways away.

The T&C grinder is a grueling project if you build it in 3 months as I did, but I do not regret it one bit. It is comforting to know I can sharpen the end of an end mill anytime I need to. I still have to make a setup for doing flutes, but that will be soon. My dividing head project is next I think.

Well I got a set of China end mills with my mini when I started out the mini is gone and so are about half of the end mills. they were curve end mills, you know as in learning curve. Once I got a better grip on feed/speed they seemed to last better. I thought at one point it was the end mills so I bought some better one they didn't help. Glad I didn't buy all high end stuff to start with. Now when ever a new guys asks about what end mills I tell them buy cheap for now because you are going to kill them.
Mark

I tried the "cheap end mill today and it seems to work as good as my "american end mill".

edit: and I can sharpen them when they get dull :grin:

I've been using Chinese end mills and center hole drills a lot without problems.

Don't want to hack this tread but just wanting to know if you have any problems with ordering from China? The reason I ask is that I have seen some things I would like to buy but don't know if there is any shipping or buying problems. I don't know anyone that has purchased from China and seems like many on this site have so may have an answer. Thanks John

I have ordered machine cutters etc from CTC Tools and have been satisfied with everything I have purchased so far.

Also for other stuff non machining, but test equipment, magnifiers etc I have placed quite a few orders with EachBuyer.com. They have free shipping from Hong Kong mainly I think. Shipping takes about 3 weeks to Canada for EachBuyer.

David

Back