Check my table setup

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
Is there anything about setting up my table like this that screams "no dummy!". :)

I am pretty new to this.
1704211427408.png

If you choose , you could move the rear jaw of the chuck to the back of the vise and use the plate in the vise . But nothing wrong with what you have there . :encourage:
Oh crap! Did not think of that!

Now i have more to think about. :) Hmmm.

Thank you!

Personally, I like to make my setups in the center of the table to avoid table overhang which can increase wear and binding of the table. If the vise and plate have alignment ketys to fit the table slots, it takes little time to switch between the two.

If you choose , you could move the rear jaw of the chuck to the back of the vise and use the plate in the vise . But nothing wrong with what you have there . :encourage:
I'm new to this also, one of the neat things I've run across in YouTube videos was "Inheritance Machining"'s plate, where he mounted a block on the back of his to facilitate mounting the thing in the vise. When I get around to making one, I'm gonna do that...

And you may not be able to travel far enough to the left to get to the far right side. Not always necessary but you will run out of travel and have a lot of overhang like was mentioned above.
Joe

As John said above , slot keys make set-ups a breeze . I would always have the Kurt and Hardinge 5C indexer on the table .

You can clamp that plate on top of that vice. Remove the jaws from inside the vice and bolt one on the front of the jaw and the other on the back of the jaw. Probably have about 12" inches of opening.
Joe

I just remove my vise and move whatever tool fixture to the table. I don't have a long table (like you) so I find it necessary.
There are times you won't need the full plate so as Dave says you can just flip the jaw to the back.
But there are other times you will need the rigidity of the table in contact with the plate.
I modified my spindexer to fit in my BP vise. I narrowed the base.

What's right now, maynot be right for you later. Things depend on your current needs.

There's nothing wrong with your setup. Use it for a while and see how well it works for you and the operations/jobs you do.

But, for a specific need, it may not work. Putting the fixture table in the vice means loosing height which you may need for some things. In other operations it is going to be table length. And at some point you may want to add a rotary table to your arsenal.

Back