Chuck Jaw Question

Phil is correct, if you buy replacement jaws for any lathe chuck, they need to be reground for that chuck.

You wont get lucky. The chuck you have has a serial number. There isnt another Union #2 D999 chuck out there. All chucks have their jaws factory ground in their respective bodies for parallelism and centrality. And are then stamped to keep them together. If you sent it back to the factory they could make a new jaw and grind it to suit. The cost for that will be in excess of what a new chuck will cost. The best you could do is find a jaw that fits and grind it yourself. Or weld in some new teeth and machine/grind/file to suit. You will be better off tracking down a replacement chuck. Do you have the other set of jaws for your chuck?

Cheers Phil
I only have the one set of jaws. I do have another good 3 jaw chuck, but figured I try to get the jaw so that I will have an extra chuck. There is a Union U-435 chuck on ebay same # as mine. Didn't want to buy another complete 3 jaw chuck, rather get a 4 jaw.

Back