Chucking Up Perpendicular Round Stock? (lathe)

Argonavis

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I'd be curious about suggestions on how best to center a rod (about 1" diameter x 5" length) using a 4-jaw chuck in such a way that the rod's axis is perpendicular to the axis of the lathe, and that I can use a tailstock chuck to drill a hole through the diameter of the rod.

I realize that it would be fairly straight-forward to do this on a mill, but I'd like to have a method which I could apply to a lathe.

Thank you!

Hannes.

Using a 4 jaw chuck to hold a piece of bar stock to drill as you describe would require a bit of work to dial in. Additionally, the chuck jaws are not meant to hold work in that manner. You run the risk of the work piece popping out and damaging itself, your lathe , or you.

I have seen a long time ago a crotch that was mounted on a Morse taper and with the valley of the Vee perpendicular to the Morse tape axis to be used for the purpose you describe. I believe that they were more popular before small mills and mill/drill's came on the scene . If you Google "lathe crotch" you will see all kinds of examples including home-built. The classic South Bend book "How to Run a Lathe" shows an example.

Put the bar in diagonally and tighten all four jaws on it. Dialling it in will be tedious.

Hello,

I'd be curious about suggestions on how best to center a rod (about 1" diameter x 5" length) using a 4-jaw chuck

I realize that it would be fairly straight-forward to do this on a mill, but I'd like to have a method which I could apply to a lathe.

Hannes.

If all of the parts are the same size and you have a mill make a chucking fixture, turn round part in lathe, mill pocket and saddle clamp mounting holes, install in chuck and indicate fixture then drill away. Why would you want to cross drill round parts in a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe?

Fixture is made like so:
jzehs.jpg

Also a V-Groove may easily be built to hold different sizes of round work, indicating the fixture and the ends of the part would be fairly easy. A mill is required however.
Like so:
28l2yv.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a 6" or larger four jaw that part can be done. But that isn't the preferd way. A milling atachment or a makeshift version would be. But a V block and adrill press would be a better rout. Of corse the mill is the best tool for the job.

I have done it by holding with 2 jaws on the ends and the other two jaws holding the sides. It works just fine it's also how you would hold it to face it off.

Back