Cincinnati 1b Knee Mill Journeys to MN

Well just the pallet will give you a fat 4+ inches. Still winter here we have been trying to reorganize
some grey paint on the floor, move machines around. Been working on a wheel system using the
base bolt holes to lift just enough to roll it. Then I go to the shop wheres the mill. Now 35 feet from
where it was?? No signs of pipes / no pry marks on floor??? I know my kid is stronger than this old
man how in hell he moved it ill never know (and wont ask) Not all, Its got a new 4 skinney bulb fluracent
hanging over it hung on chains. I dont know if you took the back door off but thats something straight
from NASA. Holy smokes I ask myself why they put all that stuff in there, just to turn on some motors??

Saturday my stepfather in-law, a retired electrical engineer and BP owner, is due at 1100. There are several wires loose in the column and switches. Unclear which goes where. I anticipate he will make short work of it. Ah.... I hope that doesn't mean electrical short!........................
I’m no electrical expert but I would be inclined to hook the mill up by putting power directly to the motor switch box at top to check out the motor and maybe even to use the machine.

…………………....…….. I don’t know if you took the back door off but that’s something straight from NASA. Holy smokes I ask myself why they put all that stuff in there, just to turn on some motors??
The cover was off the machine before you came down. I put it back in place so that it did not get separated or broken. GK1918 is correct there is a lot of electrical in there. I can see no real reason for it but it must have served some purpose, maybe for options that may no longer be there. I have seen an electrical schematic floating around the net but it did not seem very readable but maybe if downloaded and printed larger at Staples it might be useful.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Ya Ben the diagram In my reply #3 seems to be correct I tried everything and I can not clear it up no
matter what it still is blurry thats the only print I have found anywhere. My mill is full optioned, but
still I still see no need for > I see transformers, relays, solonoids, 50 miles of wires & terminal boards???

I can see 220 comming in, ok master switch, power to main motor switch, power to both table feeds
switch, and power to coolant pump. Go to the lathe, 220 to forward / reverse switch done, no frills or
gizzmos. Looks like its all for show.

Ya Ben the diagram In my reply #3 seems to be correct I tried everything and I can not clear it up no
matter what it still is blurry thats the only print I have found anywhere. My mill is full optioned, but
still I still see no need for > I see transformers, relays, solonoids, 50 miles of wires & terminal boards???

I can see 220 comming in, ok master switch, power to main motor switch, power to both table feeds
switch, and power to coolant pump. Go to the lathe, 220 to forward / reverse switch done, no frills or
gizzmos. Looks like its all for show.

GK1918, thanks for the diagram location reminder. I just saw it again as I scrolled down to this post. My memory is okay it is just the recall that is getting weak.:)) Just kidding myself, the memory is getting weak also.:bitingnails:

I don't remember seeing any table feeds on Uglydog's mill. Are the motors hidden or in the open like a Bridgeport mill. I agree with you he will need a fuse to match the machine load and all that other stuff could be bypassed.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

My friend and relative electrical engineer (Don) traced every wire.
The on-line schematic lines up with the actual machine, and is helpful. However, it is not typical of electrical schematics.
Looks like it a table powerfeed. Now gone. Unless it's hidden under the table somewhere.
The switch is still in place and the wire are cut.
He wants me to replace several of the wires before use due to wire shielding rot.
He believes it will be ready to spin up next time he is out (2 weeks).

I've got some work to do before then.
Including, purchasing appropriate lube and getting her off the pallet.

Anybody seen a unloved Cincy powerfeed?
Would like to keep her original.

Daryl
MN

Im pretty sure theres a place in N.J. that has all kinds of used parts they are on ebay alot. I just wonder
why anyone would take the power feeds off even if it was busted, leaving them on wouldnt hurt anything?
All my searches came up with these feeds was a high end option. What I found was at the time these
machines were the price of a home.

Im pretty sure theres a place in N.J. that has all kinds of used parts they are on ebay alot. I just wonder
why anyone would take the power feeds off even if it was busted, leaving them on wouldnt hurt anything?
All my searches came up with these feeds was a high end option. What I found was at the time these
machines were the price of a home.

I've heard about the NJ option. Primary contact is "Robin".
I've been told they operate with integrity.
Thought I'd wait until I was operational (and sell my Rong Fu 30) before I contact them, and spend more money.
Near as I can tell you are correct about the high end option. As Cincy was presumably always on the high price end to begin with.

Didn't think it would hurt to put it on here... just in case.

Daryl
MN

Called NJ all they have are collets.

I've heard about the NJ option. Primary contact is "Robin".
I've been told they operate with integrity.
Thought I'd wait until I was operational (and sell my Rong Fu 30) before I contact them, and spend more money.
Near as I can tell you are correct about the high end option. As Cincy was presumably always on the high price end to begin with.

Didn't think it would hurt to put it on here... just in case.

Daryl
MN

Sorry , yes collets which are not too too bad most $25-40. Its another place I'll try to find; its somewhere
mid west. Yesterdays project my kid made a collet wrench with his new plasma. that thing rules!

Took the head off today. Two of the bolts which mount it to the arm had been sheared off. I plan to fab bolts, inspect, clean, and paint before reassembly. The arm was packed with chips. The upside is that the gear that controls head tilt looks intact, thus the chips came from elsewhere.

Back