Clausing 5904 carriage power feed not working

Well, that makes perfect sense, except for two things. A- There is no hole in the bushing nor the worm gear for the pin hence, I don't know how the worm gear key is captured in the bushing. B - why does the 1967 parts catalog not show the worm gear key. I agree it needs the key but I don't have the key and I don't see how the key is attached. There is no hole for the pin. It is a mystery.

I was going to move this thread down to the Clausing Forum where it belongs but several members have already begun ti reply to it.

In the meantime , I would call Clausing. They may have an owners manual on the machine, either free for Download or hard copy for sale. Unfortunately none of the Atlas machines have power cross-feed so I won't try to guess at how they chose to implement it.

Last edited:
Were it mine, I would remove the worm/bushing assembly from the apron and see what is missing that is supposed to drive the worm.

Well, that makes perfect sense, except for two things. A- There is no hole in the bushing nor the worm gear for the pin hence, I don't know how the worm gear key is captured in the bushing. B - why does the 1967 parts catalog not show the worm gear key. I agree it needs the key but I don't have the key and I don't see how the key is attached. There is no hole for the pin. It is a mystery.
Sorry, I thought yours matched the parts diagram posted. You have the version with a key that's part of the worm gear itself rather than a separate key. If you look at the other manual and enlarge it you'll see they sort of show a nub of a key in the diagram, but it's not very distinct.

Reactions: jcp
Attached is an earlier 1969 apron diagram, which appears to indicate an integral key in worm gear. If yours is sheared off then you probably need to broach a keyway (shallow) and silver solder or braze in a key.

Attachments

• 5900-Apron-Assembly-1969.png
    5900-Apron-Assembly-1969.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes, I have this 1967 - 1969 version that shows the cap screw above the bushing. And now I notice that nub. I am going to take the worm gear apart and see what I can figure out. Will report back.

BTW it seems that this thread is in the wrong forum, should really be under "CLAUSING, COLCHESTER, JOHANSSON & BANTAM".

Yes, it should be in the Clausing rather than the Atlas Forum but by the time that I noticed it, it already had several replies and was still quite active. And I was unable to move it. I will try again later. after things settle down.

I will also mention that Clausing is another manufacturer that I routinely follow. And to my knowledge this is the first time that I can recall any mention of any Clausing lathe having both power longitudinal feed and power cross feed. So that would seem to indicate that the power feed mechanism is pretty reliable and not something that most owners can expect to have a problem with.

If someone crashed the lathe and if the lead screw shear pin was not the original soft metal (brass? I use 12 AWG copper wire on mine) then something would have to give. If the key had seen significant wear from hard use I could see it getting sheared off. Its like an airplane crash, typically a cascade of multiple contributing circumstances.

OK. I had the posts moved from the Atlas to the Clausing forum.
you guys carry on.

Back