[How-To] Clausing 8520 Vertical Mill Convert to R8 collets.

Stephen S

Registered
Registered
I have found a Clausing 8520 Vertical Mill. I have background with Bridgeport mills that requires R8 collets.
By this question you will know that I have no experience with Clausing Vertical Mill. I have not seen one except in Pics.
This Clausing 8520 Vertical Mill has MT2 collets. Is there a fairly inexpensive way to adapt R8 collets? I have drill chucks, 5 End Mill Adapters different sizes.
Want to use them on the Clausing Mill.
I have Enco ASIN in port. (Chinese) tabletop Mill. W/DRO and power feed. It gets the job done. But I want a knee mill.
Not sure if this will be an upgrade?

I would strongly recommend that you NOT try to convert the Clausing to 3MT, regardless of how many things you have that are 3MT. Find someone who needs 3MT who already has 2MT.

The expense would be prohibitive. It can be done , but would involve pulling the spindle out and having it reground. Then probably new bearings. If it was me I would leave the Morse taper and buy new tooling with the money saved.

I don't think there is enough material on the spindle to do it, and besides, the 8520 is a light duty machine and would struggle with
any tooling larger than 1/2" which is about the upper limit for MT2
MT2 is a perfectly fine collet system and has excellent grip, but doesn't release as easy as R8

Last edited:
Back