Clausing Model 100 mk3a (methinks)

Updates:
I got the lathe to spin CCW finally.. did the standard red/black wire switch (took 3 tries as I overthought it and ended up switching all 4 wires.. doh! ended up with it spinning CW as before).

I did finally get the chuck off after 2 weeks of messing with it.. the suggestion of making a clamp to hold the spindle didnt work at all.. the aluminum just ended scraping on the spindle (no harm to the spindle, but didnt work).. ended up taking a big honkin pliers and holding the spindle right in front of the bull gear.. There was a narrow place to clamp a plier and another big plier to grab the backing plate.. Would not recommend this unless you are absolutely desperate, though.

another problem I found was that the tailstock didnt tighten. turned out to be a missing groov pin holding the collet to the tailstock screw(?).. my solution was to find an appropriately sized bolt, tap the hole in the collet. then I inserted the bolt and tightened so I could cut the bolt at the edge of the collet. Cut just a little bit to mark the spot, then pulled out the bolt and cut the rest.. after that I cut a slot in the end so I could use a screwdriver to insert into the collet.. a little bit of filing after and everything seems to work..

thanks,
Roger

There was a clutch assemly on the lathe, on mine (I inherited it from my Dad) it was replaced by a 3 step "V" pulley on a jack-shaft with a 10 inch pulley powered by "V" belt from the motor.

Since my Dad was an electrician I am unsure about the reversing switch being on the lathe when he got it used. My switch is excactly where yours is located.

The hole in the gear cover allows you to lubricate lead screw bushing. Again my Dad put a piece of 1/4" copper tubing in the bushing hole and bent the tubing so the upper end protruded just above the gear cover. The shape is an offset of about 3/8" pipe lenth is about 2-1/2" He kept a machine screw in the upper end of the tubing to prevent swarf from entering.

There may be a serial number in the ways on the operator side where your tail-stock is shown in the picture.

The one thing I don't like is the small adjustment dials, now that I am over 3/4 of a century old they are even harder to read.

There is an oil reservoir of sorts in the carriage gear box with an outsde filler cup near the push/pull carriage feed/cross-feed lever

The machine will do just about anything you ask of it, it just needs some TLC.

Good luck and enjoy

Ray

thanks.. any chance of pics of the setup? I cant visualize it.

on another note: here are some pics of a set of drawers I made to hold the accessories: top one is a 2 inch drawer for measuring tools, the bottom is ~4.5 inch for other stuff. They are made from some pallet wood I had sitting around, not the best stuff in the world, but seems to work.
Apopka-20120708-00042.jpgIMG-20120705-00040.jpg

Apopka-20120708-00042.jpg IMG-20120705-00040.jpg

Last edited:
Roger

I am not to handy with the pictures but will try to elaborate since I took my gear cover off to day.

The hole I am speaking of would be directly behind the switch and possibly up a couple of inches. On my machine the point to be oiled can be seen through the hole but directlly below it. The bushing is on the quick change gear box as opposed to the lead screw thread-- my mistake.

Not knowing how well versed you are with lathes in general I would like to remind you of the 4 lubrication points in the spindle shaft area. On my lathe each bearing on the spindle shaft has a phillips head screw to remove prior to lubrication. There is an oil cup on the back-gear shaft and a screw in the middle pulley flat that must be removed so oil can reach the bushings the pulley runs on.

The drawers are a good idea. You may find yourself putting in dividers at some point. I also have drawers under my lathe; I forget to close them fully so I get to clean up swarf. I inherited an old metal above the counter-top kitchen cabinet which I mounted above my lathe, it sure is handy for often used tools.

The face of your carriage looks bare as compared to mine. Mine has the carriage movement wheel, the push/pull knob, a star shaped hand wheel (about 2 inches diameter) that activates each function when tightened, a lever to engage the half-nuts and a lever on the cross feed.

My guess about the "big wheel attachment" may be a face plate that screws onto the spindle shaft. It may have a threaded hole probably 1-1/2 X 8 TPI

I will see about getting some help on the pictures.

Have a good day.

Ray

Roger
Not knowing how well versed you are with lathes in general I would like to remind you of the 4 lubrication points in the spindle shaft area. On my lathe each bearing on the spindle shaft has a phillips head screw to remove prior to lubrication. There is an oil cup on the back-gear shaft and a screw in the middle pulley flat that must be removed so oil can reach the bushings the pulley runs on.

Thanks Ray, I think I found 3 of them, 2 are on top of the spindle bearings, I put some 3-in-1 oil in them for now. I see another one on the smallest pulley on the spindle (after scraping some dirt), dont see a screw on that one though. is the oil cup on the frame, if so then I think I found that one too.

re: mystery big wheel attachment. I looked at it in detail again.. found a patent number on it.. sure enough, google search found it: http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=2224531&id=42440 it is an internal groove cutter / keyway cutter. interesting description, be something to check out.'

thanks,
Roger

I don't think the back-gears are oiled through the frame however it might do it. On my lathe there is a lever operated bracket that holds the back gear eather in mesh with the gears on the spindle or swings them out of the way when the locking clamp on the bull gear is tightenend to turn the spindle at high speeds. The back-gears run on a shaft in that bracket. There might only be a hole in the area between the gears.

That internal key cutter is a great attachment. It is a tool that is not frequently used but when you need it it is worth it's weight in gold. I just finished filing a keyway (the hard way) after drilling a hole in a pulley. Thanks for bringing it to light.

Time to hit the sack, have a good one.

Ray

So Roger Rabbit.. any updates?

Back