Clausing model 5907

Ok. Opinion time. I'd like to hear yours about a finish. I have some Black oxide finish that I'm considering putting on the main compound body and on the cross slide. The compound is polished to 500 grit. I haven't started on the cross slide, that's tomorrow. It would be easier yo keep clean black, but polished steel looks really nice.
The Dial hub on the compound is black oxide from the factory.
Mike

Here is a picture of the compound setting on the cross slide.

Attachments

• 20240315_114138.jpg
    20240315_114138.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 21
I just spoke with a guy who is parting out a 5914 with clutch and brake but his model is completely different. His uses a flat belt while mine uses 3 v belts. So if anyone knows someone with these parts please let me know. Thanks
Mike

I'd stay raw on the metal finish. Black would be fine too, if you prefer that. All I know is that I'm enjoying your thread here, and I want to encourage more photos as you go along. Your Logan thread was one I watched closely, and I'm enjoying this one too. It's a pleasure watching progress on a thread where your focus is on doing things right! Not penny-pinching!

BTW, where I work, we have a Clausing dual drill press table that needed belts. I called Clausing, ready to order, but they wouldn't sell me parts, since I'm in California. They said I have to order though a distributor. I'm glad to hear they will sell direct to you.

I'd stay raw on the metal finish. Black would be fine too, if you prefer that. All I know is that I'm enjoying your thread here, and I want to encourage more photos as you go along. Your Logan thread was one I watched closely, and I'm enjoying this one too. It's a pleasure watching progress on a thread where your focus is on doing things right! Not penny-pinching!

BTW, where I work, we have a Clausing dual drill press table that needed belts. I called Clausing, ready to order, but they wouldn't sell me parts, since I'm in California. They said I have to order though a distributor. I'm glad to hear they will sell direct to you.
No, Clausing won't sell to me directly but there is a Clausing distributor in Huntington Beach I call for parts. If they sold directly to me I would be almost finished. So, are you on this confused state of California too?

If you were following my other posts about the other Clausing, my 13x36 Colchester I now have a new one.
This is serial number 500533. Originally purchased through H. G Grable Co. Inc. Minioloa long Island new York. I wonder how it ended up in California.
Overall condition is nice. Tom White and his nephew and my son picked this up after unloading Tom's lathe.
This is a 12x24 size lathe.
So far so good. Only one oil leak in the speed co tool assembly. I have a rebuild kit ordered. And I ordered a new cross feed and nut from a person in Texas who is making them for half the price of Clausing parts department.
This is the.perfect size for my small shop in my garage.
Some questions though. What are the main advantages of a brake and clutch on this??
The reason I'm asking is that I found all the parts to add yo mine. My cabinet is drilled for the clutch / Brake but never installed.

Congratulations on your new machine! I admit thought, its a coincidence. I just had mine delivered last Tuesday, a day after you posted. Small world!

1710799739398.png

In your first post you mention a fellow in Texas that makes replacement nuts and screws. Can you share his information with me? That might come in handy.

Congratulations on your new machine! I admit thought, its a coincidence. I just had mine delivered last Tuesday, a day after you posted. Small world!

View attachment 483475

In your first post you mention a fellow in Texas that makes replacement nuts and screws. Can you share his information with me? That might come in handy.
Well I think yours is in nicer condition than mine. Is tha cover setting between the pedestals aluminum or fiberglass? Yours look like aluminum. If aluminum then the top end cover on the left that covers the belts should be aluminum also. What's your serial number?
The person making the screw and nut for the cross slide is in Kerr Texas. His name is Tom Carlson. 817 692 5783

My cover for that lower hydralic is missing. If you find an extra one please let me know.
Mike

Making progress. I had yo stop on the lathe for several doctor appointments. And I have been waiting for my parts to arrive. They did so over this weekend and next week I should be able to finish most of the rebuild. And I have a RPC but still thinking about a VFD. If nothing else the VFD would provide Braking
If I had more money I would convert it to a DC motor as they have lots of torque through the speed range. Have to wait an see how the original 1 hp 3 phase motor runs.
Mike

My UPS driver dropped off my new headstock cover, the one with the flat top. I grabbed it off ebay. Next I will bead blasting, clean and paint. Then put in the oven and bake at 180 for 2 hours.
Mike

Attachments

• 20240411_193148.jpg
    20240411_193148.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 6
When I removed the top cover I found out why the middle front bolt was just setting. I thought someone had stripped the threads. No, they actually broke the casting tab for the threads. There are plenty of bolts to keep it sealed up. I drained the headstock oil, no damage. Oil was dirty but not too bad. I'm going to use some R&O spindel oil for it. All put the newly painted top cover on once I get the oil in it.
I also got really lucky and have a clutch and brake assembly with all parts including the shaft on the way. And I ordered 4 6205 bearings for this shaft..
Mike

Attachments

• a21f5070-f5c9-4bb6-95be-47df9da1e2cf.jpg
    a21f5070-f5c9-4bb6-95be-47df9da1e2cf.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240413_161217.jpg
    20240413_161217.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 10
Back