Cleaning A Surface PLate

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
What do you use to clean your granite surface plate? I know I could purchase the 'Surface Plate Cleaner" from Enco or some other online outfit but is it necessary? Could Windex, Glass and surface cleaner do it? Would good ol' alcohol do the trick?

I wonder if HF carries some?

Just asking since I've never had to clean one before and want to make sure I don't do something I ought not.

It's a chunk of rock!!! I use Windex, been using that for years. And a clean paper towel or cotton rag, just like a window.

I agree. Clean mine with Windex and a paper towel.

I just used good old soapy ammonia followed by windex or 91% rubbing alky. If it aint 91% it wont do anything but 91 will lift oil and grease right to the surface

Bob

It's a chunk of rock!!! I use Windex, been using that for years. And a clean paper towel or cotton rag, just like a window.

ROCK! YOU MEAN GRANITE IS ROCK! :shocked: :headscratch:Yea, I know it's rock and I figured just about anything would clean it but...JUUUUSSST to be sure...You know.:noidea:

So Windex its is, or ammonia, or alcohol. Got it.:thumbsup2::thanks:

I use acetone, Windex, rubbing alcohol or Simple Green. Whatever I have handy.

I use denatured alcohol and/or glass cleaner (Spray n Wash to be exact, ammonia free though). I always have denatured alcohol around as I use it for a lot of cleaning especially for anodizing Ti.

I only have a little grade A import 12x18 & it doesn't get dirty much cause I always keep it covered. Got this mat & it covers my piece of rock perfectly.

Img_0161.jpg

Img_0161.jpg

I use denatured alcohol and/or glass cleaner (Spray n Wash to be exact, ammonia free though). I always have denatured alcohol around as I use it for a lot of cleaning especially for anodizing Ti.

I only have a little grade A import 12x18 & it doesn't get dirty much cause I always keep it covered. Got this mat & it covers my piece of rock perfectly.

That reminds me...gotta make a cover for mine. Might keep well meaning or not so well meaning people from using it as an anvil!

Back